UPDATE | Zuma apologises to Hanekom for calling him a 'known enemy agent' in now-deleted tweet

play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Derek Hanekom.
Derek Hanekom.
Media24 Archives
  • Former president Jacob Zuma has now abided by a High Court order to apologise to ANC veteran Derek Hanekom.
  • He also deleted his tweet from July 2019 in which had called Hanekom a "known enemy agent".
  • This followed a letter to his lawyers saying he was in contempt of court for not acting. 

Former president Jacob Zuma apologised to ANC veteran Derek Hanekom on Sunday and deleted a tweet calling him a "known enemy agent" following a lawyer's letter warning him he was in contempt of court.

Using the exact wording required by the KwaZulu-Natal High Court ruling, Zuma tweeted:

He said he hoped this satisfied both Hanekom and the court.

Hanekom had taken his ANC comrade to court, instituting a R500 000 defamation suit against Zuma over the tweet he posted on 25 July 2019.

The tweet, which was deleted on Sunday afternoon, read: "I'm not surprised by @Julius_S_Malema revelations regarding @Derek_Hanekom. It is part of the plan I mentioned at the Zondo Commission. @Derek_Hanekom is a known enemy agent."

Zuma was seemingly reacting to EFF leader Julius Malema's claims that Hanekom had conspired with the party to oust the former statesman via a motion of no confidence in the National Assembly.

ALSO READ | ConCourt dismisses Jacob Zuma's appeal in Derek Hanekom defamation judgment

Zuma had launched several appeal bids, including a final one, before going to the Constitutional Court.

On Friday, it dismissed his appeal against the High Court ruling, in September last year, which ordered him to delete the tweet and apologise on his account within 24 hours.

Hanekom's lawyer, Dario Milo, had sent a letter to Zuma's lawyer, Eric Mabuza, warning him they were in contempt of court.

"Your client has willfully disregarded the High Court order to date, almost two days after the Constitutional Court order was received".

Former South African President Jacob Zuma appears
Former president Jacob Zuma. (Kim Ludbrook, Pool, AFP)
AFP

Milo said they would take further legal action, including launching urgent contempt of court proceedings, should they not comply by 17:00 on Monday.

When News24 approached Mabuza on Sunday morning, he said: "Our client will comply with the court order … he had many court orders which went against him and not once has he disrespected the court."

He added it was a long weekend and they were based in Johannesburg, while Zuma was in KwaZulu-Natal.

"It's not a matter of life and death. He's never disregarded a court order before. There is no reason why he would do anything different this time," said Mabuza.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect that Zuma has since apologised and deleted the tweet in question.

Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Have you downloaded the Covid-19 tracing app?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes I have
14% - 1604 votes
No, and I will not be downloading it
76% - 8680 votes
Not yet, but I plan to
9% - 1068 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
16.94
(-0.26)
ZAR/GBP
21.78
(-0.02)
ZAR/EUR
19.90
(-0.13)
ZAR/AUD
12.07
(+0.19)
ZAR/JPY
0.16
(-0.31)
Gold
1887.90
(-0.41)
Silver
23.86
(-1.45)
Platinum
878.00
(-0.45)
Brent Crude
41.31
(-3.06)
Palladium
2313.00
(+0.76)
All Share
54506.88
(-0.39)
Top 40
50319.94
(-0.51)
Financial 15
10003.88
(+0.72)
Industrial 25
73358.17
(-0.86)
Resource 10
54053.58
(-0.58)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo