- The matter for the Jozini truck driver who killed eight people in June has been postponed.
- The NPA said further investigations were needed.
- It added that Sipho Ntuli, the driver, had abandoned his bail
Investigations are continuing into the truck driver accident which resulted in multiple deaths in the northern KwaZulu-Natal town of Jozini in June.
"The matter was remanded to 5 August for Legal Aid and further investigations. The accused had previously abandoned his bail application," National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Natasha Kara said on Tuesday.
News24 previously reported that the driver's bail application was at the centre of a horror crash in which eight people died and 32 others were injured in Jozini.
Sipho Ntuli made his first appearance in the Ubombo Magistrate's Court in late June.
He appeared on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and eight counts of culpable homicide.
The truck Ntuli was driving crashed into pedestrians and vehicles, leading to multiple deaths and dozens of injuries. Ten vehicles were also damaged. Police have confirmed that Ntuli had traces of alcohol in his blood.
Relatives of the victims have called for Ntuli to face stiff punishment.
KwaZulu-Natal Transport MEC Bheki Ntuli, who visited the crash site on Wednesday, said he was "appalled" that the driver may have been drunk at the time of the accident.