- About 203 pupils from the school experienced stomach pains after eating food.
- The school has since been advised to not serve cooked food until results from the laboratory return.
- Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi visited the school and apologised to pupils.
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has sanctioned an investigation at MH Baloyi Secondary School in Winterveld, Tshwane, following allegations of food poisoning.
Lesufi visited the school on Thursday and spoke to school management and district officials on the circumstances surrounding the incident.
It is alleged that pupils at the school ate food during break on Tuesday, but the school day ended without any of them complaining about a stomach bug.
On Wednesday, however, several pupils from a class complained that they had stomach bugs and others said they had been unable to sleep the previous night, the department said.
The department said about 203 pupils had consumed the food and had all experienced pains. They were rushed to several health facilities and were discharged in the evening.
During his visit, Lesufi also interacted with pupils and apologised to them for what had occurred.
"What happened yesterday is just unfortunate. I met with the students and they explained what happened. I also met with the people who were cooking.
"The leadership of the school, the district and I have taken samples to laboratories and, as such, I am waiting for the outcome of those samples," Lesufi said.
He said, until sample results had been returned, the suspicious food should not be served. Only fruits, porridge and other ready-made food would be served until results known.