Share

SAPS will not fund trial of former Crime Intelligence boss Richard Mdluli

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Richard Mdluli.
Richard Mdluli.
Cornel van Heerden

The SA Police Service (SAPS) will not fund the criminal trial of former Crime Intelligence (CI) boss Richard Mdluli and his two co-accused, the Investigating Directorate (ID) said on Tuesday.

Mdluli, former CI supply chain manager Heine Barnard, and the former chief financial officer of the State Security Agency, Solomon Lazarus, appeared in the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on Tuesday.

"The court deferred the matter to 22 February 2022 for the setting of a trial date. Their former employer, SAPS, additionally denied them legal funding," said ID spokesperson Sindisiwe Seboka.

READ | Former SARS exec Johann van Loggerenberg burgled

Mdluli and his co-accused have been charged with corruption, fraud and theft relating to the alleged looting of a CI slush fund.

The crimes were allegedly committed between 2008 and 2012 when the accused were at the helm of CI services.

Payments related to private trips to China and Singapore, the private use of witness protection houses, the conversion of properties for personal use, and the leasing out of Mdluli's private residence to the state to pay his bond, Seboka said.

News24 previously reported that a warrant of arrest had been issued for Mdluli, who failed to appear in court on several occasions, even though he was in custody.

Mdluli is serving a five-year sentence after he was found guilty of the kidnapping and assault of Oupa Ramogibe in 1999.


We want to hear your views on the news. Subscribe to News24 to be part of the conversation in the comments section of this article.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
heading
description
username
Show Comments ()
Voting Booth
What do you make of the dropped murder charges in the Thabo Bester prison escape case?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
There must be insufficient evidence
15% - 366 votes
I hope prosecutors have a plan
18% - 439 votes
I bet they’ll get away with it
67% - 1610 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.22
+0.5%
Rand - Pound
23.03
+0.9%
Rand - Euro
20.43
-0.7%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.32
+0.8%
Rand - Yen
0.14
+1.0%
Platinum
1,059.17
0.0%
Palladium
1,490.53
0.0%
Gold
2,016.92
0.0%
Silver
25.67
0.0%
Brent Crude
75.30
+3.7%
Top 40
72,511
+1.1%
All Share
78,133
+1.1%
Resource 10
70,904
+0.9%
Industrial 25
105,222
+0.9%
Financial 15
15,392
+2.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE