Share

Zuma files plea to oust Downer, NPA says it seems to be 'regurgitation of old false issues'

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Former president Jacob Zuma at the Pietermaritzburg High Court.
Former president Jacob Zuma at the Pietermaritzburg High Court.
Photo by Gallo Images/Darren Stewart

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has confirmed that former president Jacob Zuma has filed his "special plea" challenging prosecutor Billy Downer's right to try him - which it says appear to be a "regurgitation" of "false" claims he's made before.

"We are studying the document and we will submit our response in court. At face value it looks like a regurgitation of the old false issues that have been rejected by the courts," NPA spokesperson Sipho Ngwema told News24 on Thursday.  

"However, the matter is now sub judice; we will deal with it in court." 

While Zuma's counsel Thabani Masuku last week told Downer that Zuma intended to apply for his recusal, he now wants to lodge a "special plea", under section 106 of the Criminal Procedure Act, that Downer "has no title to prosecute" the former head of state. 

It appears that many of the issues raised by Zuma in his special plea had previously been dealt with by the courts, including his claims of undue delay and political interference in his prosecution. 

In 2019, a full bench of the Pietermaritzburg High Court found there was no legal basis for Zuma's trial not to go ahead and rejected his application for a permanent stay of prosecution - in a ruling Zuma tried and failed to appeal in the Supreme Court of Appeal. 

"The seriousness of the offences that Mr Zuma is facing outweighs any prejudice, which he claims he will suffer if the trial proceeds," the High Court said.

Zuma and his co-accused, French arms company Thales, will next week plead to the racketeering and corruption case against them.

Zuma stands accused of receiving R4.072 million in bribes and benefits from his former financial advisor Schabir Shaik, in exchange for using his political clout to further Shaik's business interests.

The State further alleges that Shaik facilitated a R500 000-a-year bribe for Zuma from Thales, in exchange for his "protection" from any potential investigation into South Africa's multibillion rand Arms Deal.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
heading
description
username
Show Comments ()
Voting Booth
What do you make of the dropped murder charges in the Thabo Bester prison escape case?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
There must be insufficient evidence
15% - 366 votes
I hope prosecutors have a plan
18% - 439 votes
I bet they’ll get away with it
67% - 1607 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.22
+0.5%
Rand - Pound
23.03
+0.9%
Rand - Euro
20.43
-0.7%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.32
+0.8%
Rand - Yen
0.14
+1.0%
Platinum
1,059.17
0.0%
Palladium
1,490.53
0.0%
Gold
2,016.92
0.0%
Silver
25.67
0.0%
Brent Crude
75.30
+3.7%
Top 40
72,511
+1.1%
All Share
78,133
+1.1%
Resource 10
70,904
+0.9%
Industrial 25
105,222
+0.9%
Financial 15
15,392
+2.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE