- The death toll in the devastating KwaZulu-Natal flooding has risen to 395.
- More than 40 700 people have been displaced.
- Further rains are expected in the province on Friday and Saturday.
The death toll after devastating floods in KwaZulu-Natal has jumped to 395.
The increased death toll came amid reports from the South African Weather Service that more rains were expected over large parts of the province, said Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC Sipho Hlomuka.
"According to the warning that we have received, damaging winds are forecast for areas along the coast from midday [on Friday] into Saturday evening. Disruptive rain is also forecast for eThekwini, KwaDukuza, Mkhambathini, Ndwedwe, Ray Nkonyeni, uMdoni and uMzumbe from Friday until Saturday evening," said Hlomuka.
Most of the deaths - 355 - happened in Durban.
The eThekwini metro, one of the most affected areas, was continuing with repair efforts to damaged infrastructure such as roads, water, sanitation and electricity.
More than 40 700 people had been displaced by the widespread flooding and landslides.
Provincial and municipal disaster management teams were on high alert, added Hlomuka.
"Communities at high risk of disasters... are of particular concern, as is road infrastructure, such as bridges and courses located in low-lying areas. People who need to evacuate will be housed in community facilities such as halls and schools," he said.
Over 4 000 law enforcement officers had been deployed, added Hlomuka.
"During this difficult period, it is important that we maintain law and order so that our teams can reach all affected areas," he said.