- A 25-year-old has been charged with the alleged rape and murder of 93-year-old Cynthea Doubell.
- Doubell was found naked on her bed by neighbours, more than a week ago.
- The accused appeared in the Bellville Magistrate's Court on Thursday.
A 25-year-old man accused of the murder and rape of a 93-year-old woman in her Cape Town home, just over a week ago, will have to remain behind bars until his bail hearing takes place next week.
He is alleged to have raped and murdered Cynthea Doubell who was found by her neighbours, naked on her bed.
News24 reported previously that the resident who found her usually took Doubell a cup of coffee when she was sitting outside her home and had gone to check up on her after wondering where she was that day.
READ MORE | Cape Town woman, 93, found murdered in home
Bellville residents staged a peaceful picket outside the local Bellville Magistrate's Court on Thursday where the accused was set to appear.
Caroline Peters, of the Callas Foundation said the murder had sent shockwaves through the community and angry residents called for the suspect to be denied bail.
Peters said she was currently assisting the traumatised family.
"We are appalled by this tragedy that occurred as we entered Women's Month. It is not just the brutalisation of another female body, but that of an elderly woman who had spent her life giving to her family and community," she stressed.
Peters added that a memorial service would be held for Doubell this weekend.
"We are holding a memorial for Cynthia Doubell on Saturday at 14:00, to celebrate her life and the important role that women like her play in our communities."
Peters said the issue of the gender-based violence perpetrated against women daily in South Africa were a cause for grave concern.
The accused made a brief appearance in court where proceedings were halted after a positive Covid-19 case was confirmed.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said the matter was on the roll for a bail application, but could not proceed as the court building was locked down for decontamination.
"The case was remanded until 19 August for the accused to appear before court and possible bail application," Ntabazalila added.