The case of a Mpumalanga ANC provincial executive committee (PEC) member accused of the rape of his 8-year-old twin daughters was postponed in the Mbombela Magistrate's Court on Monday.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Monica Nyuswa said the man appeared in court alongside his 26-year-old stepson.
"The matter has been postponed to 1 October for a formal bail application."
"The victims are 8 years of age," she said.
Mpumalanga police spokesperson Brigadier Leonard Hlathi confirmed the arrests to News24 and said the victims are twins.
Earlier on Monday, the ANC said it had suspended the accused.
Acting ANC chairperson in Mpumalanga Mandla Ndlovu said ANC officials in the province had met and decided that the he should step down from his position in the ANC, given the gravity of the charges.
The ANC named him in a statement, but News24 cannot name him to protect the identities of the alleged victims.
- Compiled by Qaanitah Hunter