A Mpumalanga MEC handed himself to the police on Monday morning in connection with two counts of murder and one of attempted murder.
The MEC, who has not been named yet, was accompanied by his lawyer when he went to the Mbombela police station.
National police spokesperson Vishnu Naidoo said allegations were that the 45-year-old MEC had been involved in a shooting on 22 August this year in Mbombela where two people were killed and a third person wounded in Mbombela.
"His arrest brings to three the total number of people arrested in connection with this case. On 17 September 2021 police arrested Joseph Charlie Ngwenya, 35, and Tshepo Matsane, 30.
"They both appeared in court at least twice before being granted bail of R20 000 each on Friday 8 October 2021."
Naidoo said the MEC was expected to appear in the Nelspruit Magistrate's Court soon on the murder and attempted murder charges.
ANC Mpumalanga spokesperson Sasekani Manzini said the party was yet to be briefed on the arrest.
"We will discuss as the provincial leaders and then we will gather information before we comment," she said.
Manzini also said the ANC will not confirm the identity of the MEC.
We want to hear your views on the news. Subscribe to News24 to be part of the conversation in the comments section of this article.