Mugg & Bean taking steps against branch owner who posted picture of child wearing black face paint

accreditation
  Mugg & Bean coffee cups.
Mugg & Bean coffee cups.
File picture

Mugg & Bean says it is shocked at the actions of a franchise owner in East London who posted a picture of one of his children on Facebook wearing black face paint, alongside an apparent caption saying he was "using his children to apply for business grants".

Images of the post have been circulating on social media since Friday, with many accusing the father of four of racism.

The post, which has since been removed from the man's timeline, shows one of his children wearing black face paint with a caption reading: "Using my kids to apply for business grants. Hope we come right". 

News24 has decided not to show the image to protect the identity of the child.

Held accountable

In a statement, Mugg & Bean's marketing manager, Deeolan Govender, said the man would be held accountable for his actions.

"We are immediately taking the necessary steps to address this with the appropriate action."

Govender said the management of the Mugg & Bean brand was shocked and did not condone the actions.

Although the franchise owner claimed his intentions have been misunderstood, the Mugg & Bean brand found it "inexcusable that anyone can claim to be ignorant of the meaning of the image and its damaging effects", he added. 

'Unacceptable behaviour'

"While we fully appreciate the financial burden and emotional stress placed on all South Africans during this pandemic, this behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated," said Govender. 

The post came a day after President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a budget allocation of R200 billion for a loan guarantee scheme to help enterprises suffering a negative impact due to the Covid-19 crisis. 

The man owns a number of other businesses, including two hotels and a guest lodge.

Called for comment, the man would not confirm or deny posting the picture and caption.

Referring News24 to his lawyer and an explanation posted on social media, he said: "This is not racism, sir. Sir, I'm desperately saddened. Deeply sorry anyone is offended [sic]." 

The man's lawyer, Shaun Mathie of Drake Flemmer & Orsmond Attorneys, declined to comment.

"[Our client] has indeed referred the matter to our firm but unfortunately, we have no further comment at this stage."

Account 'hacked'

In other screenshots of social media posts, the man and his wife said their child had been "playing", and there was no racist intent around the post. The man offered an apology. They also said his account had been "hacked". 

The man and his legal team did not elaborate on this when asked for comment.

The EFF in the Eastern Cape, meanwhile, threatened to open a criminal case and call for his businesses to be shut down. 

EFF provincial chairperson Yazini Tetyana said he could not wait for the lockdown to be lifted so he could mobilise the party's members to boycott all his businesses. 

"I just spoke to the leadership of the EFF in Buffalo City region to discuss the next cause of action. We will open a case against him with the belief that he had violated the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act No 4 of 2000." 

Tetyana added racism had no place in the Eastern Cape and in the country, saying the man had refused to accept the current dispensation. 

"He doesn't belong to our world, this is dehumanising". 

Others on social media have also called on people to boycott the man's businesses.

*Note: News24 is not naming the man to protect the identity of his child as required by the South African Press Code.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
The ANC's leadership race is heating up. Who do you think will be elected party president at Nasrec in December?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma has got it in the bag
7% - 501 votes
I foresee a second term for Cyril Ramaphosa
82% - 6182 votes
Don’t discount a Zweli Mkhize win
11% - 812 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.84
+1.3%
Rand - Pound
20.17
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.51
+1.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.63
-0.5%
Rand - Yen
0.12
+1.3%
Gold
1,698.00
+2.2%
Silver
20.67
+8.6%
Palladium
2,232.24
+3.0%
Platinum
904.79
+4.7%
Brent Crude
85.14
-2.4%
Top 40
57,850
+0.8%
All Share
64,227
+0.8%
Resource 10
61,646
+2.3%
Industrial 25
77,524
+0.2%
Financial 15
13,816
+0.1%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE