No water cuts - Rand Water clarifies rumours

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Rand Water says there will be 90% availability of water.
Rand Water says there will be 90% availability of water.
PHOTO: Moyo Studio/Gallo Images
  • Rand Water refutes rumours of water supply shutdown in parts of Gauteng.
  • This followed Rand Water's announcement that there would be maintenance to one of their pipelines in Garthdale, Gauteng. 
  • Water will be available but pressure might be low. 

Rand Water has slammed rumours about water supply shutdowns in parts of Gauteng.

On Tuesday, rumours circulating on social media claimed there would be a water supply shutdown in parts of Gauteng from Friday to Wednesday.

The rumours followed an announcement about maintenance on one of Rand Water's pipelines.

Setting the record straight, spokesperson Pride Mguli said water would be available during the maintenance.  She said only pressure would be affected.

"Normally, when people open their tap, they are exposed to 100% availability. Given the current maintenance, Rand Water states that there is always enough water. Because of this maintenance, Rand Water will cut down only 10%, leaving 90% available. Generally, one should not expect to fill buckets because 90% is still quite high. 

"We have the responsibility to inform the public of such activities so that people are aware and questions about what is going on with the water pressure are not raised," she said.

READ | 24-hour water shutdown to affect about 30 Joburg suburbs

The planned maintenance is expected to occur from 17:00 on 19 August and end at 08:30 on 23 August.

"Municipalities including the City of Ekurhuleni, City of Tshwane, Johannesburg Water, and direct customers Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) and South African Airways (SAA) were issued with a 21-days notice to allow them to execute their appropriate contingency plans," she said.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Eskom has considered continuous load shedding at Stage 2, instead of introducing it when the power system faces a crunch. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'm all for it - we're going to have power cuts regardless, so we might as well have some stability to better plan our lives
45% - 4724 votes
No thanks! I prefer having periods of no load shedding and we cannot normalise this crisis
55% - 5793 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.09
-0.7%
Rand - Pound
19.33
+0.3%
Rand - Euro
17.38
-0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.68
+0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.1%
Gold
1,621.66
-1.3%
Silver
18.34
-2.8%
Palladium
2,047.50
-1.2%
Platinum
852.00
-0.8%
Brent Crude
86.15
-5.0%
Top 40
57,290
+0.3%
All Share
63,626
+0.3%
Resource 10
56,215
-0.2%
Industrial 25
79,529
+1.4%
Financial 15
13,982
-1.2%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE