Number of Gauteng schools vandalised, robbed since lockdown has spiked to 55

accreditation
Soshanguve High School has been badly damaged by a fire on the premises on Wednesday, 8 April 2020. (Photo Supplied: Steve Mabona)
Soshanguve High School has been badly damaged by a fire on the premises on Wednesday, 8 April 2020. (Photo Supplied: Steve Mabona)

At least 15 more schools in Gauteng have been burgled in the past few days, the Gauteng Department of Education announced on Sunday. 

Of these, five schools are in Soweto. 

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said he was perturbed by the skyrocketing number of burglaries experienced in Gauteng schools during the lockdown period. The latest incidents were reported to have occurred between 9 and 11 April. 

The schools are Harmony Primary, Lenasia; Eersterust Secondary, Eersterust; Matseke Primary, Atteridgeville; Jordan Secondary, Evaton; Jabulani Technical, Soweto; Thomas Nhlapho Primary, Meyerton; Moqhaka Secondary School, Sebokeng; Kwa-Ntsikana Secondary School, Soweto; Klipvalley Primary School, Soweto; Lufhereng Secondary, Soweto; Mbuyisa Makhubu Primary School. Soweto; Ivory Park Secondary, Ivory Park; Mahube Valley Primary, Mahube Valley; Sehopotso Secondary, Sebokeng; and Princess Primary, Roodepoort.

This brings the total number of schools vandalised or broken into since the start of the nationwide lockdown to 55.

PICS | Fourth Soshanguve school burnt down during lockdown

Valuable equipment and school nutrition groceries were stolen during the burglaries, the department said in a statement.

"It seems that these criminals are not bothered and they don't have a sense on the damage they are causing to the future of our children and our country because, without education, we are doomed, the future is bleak. Indeed the...behaviour of these criminals is annoying and they must be apprehended and face the law," Lesufi said.

Lesufi reiterated his earlier plea for the protection of the province's schools.

"The community is encouraged to always report criminal activities in their areas to the law enforcement agencies for a swift response," Lesufi said.

News24 earlier reported that at least four schools had been burnt down in Soshanguve in Tshwane since the lockdown.

On Thursday, it was reported that two suspects had been arrested for their alleged role in a spate of attacks on schools in Gauteng since the beginning of the 2020 academic year.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
The EFF has voted with the DA to ensure they now govern Johannesburg, Tshwane and Ekurhuleni. Was this:
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
A brilliant strategic move by the DA not to make formal coalition agreements
25% - 1483 votes
A brilliant strategic move by the EFF to force the DA to negotiate with them
16% - 973 votes
A recipe for disaster and five more years of unstable local government
59% - 3512 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
16.28
-2.0%
Rand - Pound
21.73
-2.2%
Rand - Euro
18.43
-3.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.58
-1.0%
Rand - Yen
0.14
-4.0%
Gold
1,792.60
+0.2%
Silver
23.13
-2.0%
Palladium
1,751.50
-6.3%
Platinum
955.50
-4.5%
Brent Crude
82.22
-0.0%
Top 40
62,411
-2.6%
All Share
68,615
-2.8%
Resource 10
64,074
-2.5%
Industrial 25
92,909
-1.3%
Financial 15
12,995
-6.8%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE