- A 30-year-old man has died, while another has been injured during yet another shooting in Gugulethu.
- The shooting comes mere days after eight other people were shot dead in a mass shooting incident in the same area.
- Western Cape police say there are no new leads, despite the 72-hour activation plan initiated to find the suspects.
A 30-year-old man has died, while another has been injured during yet another shooting in Gugulethu - just five days after eight people were killed during a mass shooting incident.
Police say on Sunday morning an unknown man opened the door of a parked car in NY 137 Gugulethu and started firing at the two men who were seated in the car.
"The suspect fired numerous gunshots at the occupants wounding a 30-year-old male and fatally wounding another 30-year-old male," police spokesperson Warrant Officer Joseph Swartbooi said.
Western Cape Police say the shooting comes days after last week's mass shooting, that police investigators are still busy probing.
Despite the 72-hour activation plan initiated by police to find the suspects, there are still no new leads.
The Department of Community Safety said it will continue to lead the Provincial Safety Plan, which focuses on law enforcement and violence prevention initiatives.
MEC for Community Safety Albert Fritz said:
Fritz said a total of 31 people were killed this past weekend by gunshot trauma, and that one of them was from Gugulethu.
"I want to extend my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the victims."
Gugulethu police are investigating cases of murder and attempted murder and anyone with information is urged to call the Crime Stop number on 08600 101111