One person injured as angry mob torches 2 houses, 4 cars in Limpopo

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
(File)
(File)
PHOTO: Gallo Images
  • One person was injured when an angry mob of people set fire to properties and cars belonging to a Limpopo businessman and his employees.
  • The community members consulted a sangoma, who pointed out that the businessman and two of his employees were involved in the disappearance of a man.
  • Twenty-three people were arrested.

One person was seriously injured when an angry mob of people set fire to properties and cars after a sangoma accused a businessman and his employees of involvement in the disappearance of a 25-year-old man.

It's alleged that Gandlanani Village residents in Giyani, Limpopo, consulted the sangoma, who pointed out that the businessman and two of his employees were responsible for the disappearance of 25-year-old Mahlori Maluleka. 

READ | Mob kills burglary suspect in Tongaat after car chase

According to the police, Maluleka was reported missing on 8 August.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo said that the mob cornered one of the businessman's employees, aged 52, before gathering at a local soccer ground on Sunday, at around 08:00.

"They assaulted, burnt and dragged him to the house belonging to the businessman's mother, where they torched it, together with three vehicles which were parked inside the garage," Mojapelo said.

They then moved to the businessman's residence, where they pelted his double story house, damaging the electric fence and some property.

"The angry mob continued with the attack and burned the house belonging to the other employee, aged 51."

While they were on the way to the brick yard owned by this businessman, they came across one of his vehicles and torched it. 

The driver managed to escape unharmed.

Mojapelo said that when the police arrived, the crowd had already set fire to the brick yard.

"The severely injured victim was rescued and taken to hospital with serious injuries."

Twenty-three people have been arrested for attempted murder, arson and malicious damage to property. 

"The search for the remaining suspects continues today," Mojapelo added.

Provincial police commissioner Lieutenant General Nneke Ledwaba said nothing would be left to chance when hunting down the remaining culprits.

Do you want to know more about this topic? Sign up for one of News24's 33 newsletters to receive the information you want in your inbox. Special newsletters are available to subscribers.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Are you going to keep wearing a mask following the announcement that it is no longer required under law?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
No ways, I'm done
41% - 2818 votes
Yes, I still want to be cautious
21% - 1448 votes
Only certain circumstances
38% - 2563 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.80
+1.1%
Rand - Pound
19.39
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
16.68
-0.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.98
-0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.12
-0.0%
Gold
1,827.37
0.0%
Silver
21.15
0.0%
Palladium
1,880.50
0.0%
Platinum
911.50
0.0%
Brent Crude
113.12
+2.7%
Top 40
59,993
+1.6%
All Share
66,349
+1.6%
Resource 10
64,422
-0.2%
Industrial 25
76,590
+2.6%
Financial 15
15,623
+1.9%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE