The 34-year-old Pietermaritzburg man who allegedly kidnapped a woman claims he was in a relationship with her. The man was granted bail of R3 000.
He was supposed to appear in the Pinetown Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday for a formal bail application but the case was moved forward to last week.
Director of Public Prosecutions spokeswoman Natasha Kara said yesterday the state was opposed to bail.
She said that bail was granted on condition that he should not interfere with the complainant, that he move to a different address and that he reports to a particular police station on certain days. It is alleged that on August 6, he kidnapped a 28-year-old woman and took her to Durban.
She was allegedly kept against her will by the man at a bed and breakfast in Durban. It had been booked a week in advance.
She managed to escape two days afterwards by convincing the man to allow her to get medication at a nearby pharmacy.
While the woman was found safe, her kidnapper was on the run from police.
He was arrested in Shelly Beach near Port Shepstone a day afterwards.
The matter has been postponed to October 19 for further investigations.