Ramaphosa calls for murder-accused Mpumalanga MEC Mandla Msibi to step aside - report

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
MEC Mandla Msibi.
MEC Mandla Msibi.
City Press, file
  • President Cyril Ramaphosa has reportedly called for the Mpumalanga MEC facing murder charges to step aside.
  • Agriculture MEC Mandla Msibi handed himself over to police on Monday.
  • He faces murder and attempted murder charges linked to a shooting at an ANC meeting in August.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has reportedly called for Mpumalanga Agriculture, Rural Development, Land and Environmental Affairs MEC Mandla Msibi to step aside.

Msibi, 45, was taken into custody on Monday in connection with a murder case. He was allegedly involved in a shooting at an ANC branch meeting in August, which left two people dead and another two wounded.

According to Business Day, Ramaphosa called for the ANC to deal with the issue urgently, saying anyone who was charged in a serious criminal matter was expected to step aside.

Msibi has reportedly faced at least 10 criminal charges in recent years. Previous cases included charges of assault, some of which were still pending, Business Day reported.

He handed himself over to the police on Monday morning in connection with two counts of murder and one of attempted murder, News24 previously reported. He was accompanied by his lawyer when he went to the Mbombela police station.

READ | Mpumalanga MEC facing murder charges hands himself over to police

Msibi spent the night behind bars, according to City Press. He is expected in the Nelspruit Magistrate's Court on Tuesday for a bail application.

National police spokesperson Vishnu Naidoo told News24 that the arrest was the third linked to the shooting in August this year. In September, Joseph Charlie Ngwenya, 35, and Tshepo Matsane, 30, were arrested for their alleged involvement in the matter.

"They both appeared in court at least twice before being granted bail of R20 000 each on Friday 8 October 2021," he said.

Meanwhile, Mpumalanga Premier Refilwe Mtshweni-Tsipane said she viewed the allegations in a "very serious" light.

She added that she would be taking "appropriate action" following the court appearance.

Did you know you can listen to articles? Subscribe to News24 for access to this exciting feature and more.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Should Proteas star Quinton de Kock continue playing at the T20 World Cup even if he doesn't take the knee in support of the fight against racism?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! He should be allowed to show his support any way he chooses
36% - 543 votes
No! If De Kock refuses to unite with his teammates, then he should be on the next plane home
12% - 182 votes
The only ones at fault here are Cricket SA, who have sabotaged another Proteas World Cup
52% - 776 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.97
-1.0%
Rand - Pound
20.59
-0.9%
Rand - Euro
17.37
-1.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.23
-1.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-1.6%
Gold
1,785.18
-0.4%
Silver
23.92
-1.0%
Palladium
1,993.00
-0.8%
Platinum
1,018.00
-1.3%
Brent Crude
86.40
+0.5%
Top 40
60,797
-0.4%
All Share
67,494
-0.3%
Resource 10
63,048
-0.7%
Industrial 25
87,148
-0.2%
Financial 15
14,043
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE