Rescue teams launch sea search after man goes missing in Cape Town

accreditation
An NSRI search operation.
An NSRI search operation.
Brenton Geach, Gallo Images
  • A search is still underway for a 43-year-old man who went missing at sea in Cape Town on Thursday.
  • The man disappeared after jumping from a rock into the water to retrieve a fishing rod.
  • The NSRI said bystanders alerted it to the incident.

Rescue workers were continuing their search for a 43-year-old man who went missing while swimming at Saunders' Rocks Beach in Bantry Bay, Cape Town, on Thursday.

On Friday morning, police divers launched a police boat as part of an ongoing search operation.

The National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) said police divers conducted a scuba dive search and shoreline patrols. They were assisted by a police helicopter conducting an air search along the shoreline and offshore.

READ | Body of unidentified man pulled from surf in Strand

"SAPS Water Policing and Diving Services (Cape Town) are continuing [their] ongoing search operation for the missing man," said NSRI Table Bay duty coxswain Gal Chiles.

The NSRI said the man disappeared after jumping from rocks into the water to retrieve a fishing rod.

Chiles said:

Bystanders raised the alarm, and we believe that a bystander had grabbed the NSRI pink rescue buoy stationed at Saunders' Rocks to try and help, but the man had already disappeared underwater.

There was no sign of the man despite an extensive sea and shoreline search.

The NSRI Emergency Operations Centre activated the City of Cape Town's water rescue network.

Rescue swimmers from NSRI Bakoven and NSRI Table Bay, the SAPS Water Policing and Diving Services, the Western Cape government's Emergency Medical Services and Cape Town Traffic Services responded, said Chiles.

They were assisted by the City of Cape Town's law enforcement department, lifeguards and Fire and Rescue Service, added Chiles.

The NSRI Table Bay's sea rescue craft Spirit of Day was also launched. Fire and Rescue Service divers launched their rescue craft, but the man was not found.

Earlier this week, the body of an unidentified man surfaced in the water at Strand Pavilion.

At the time, police spokesperson Warrant Officer Joseph Swartbooi said an inquest docket had been opened for investigation.


Never miss a story. Choose from our range of newsletters to get the news you want delivered straight to your inbox.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Are you going to keep wearing a mask following the announcement that it is no longer required under law?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
No ways, I'm done
5% - 5686 votes
Yes, I still want to be cautious
91% - 107266 votes
Only certain circumstances
4% - 5088 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
16.27
-0.3%
Rand - Pound
19.81
-0.7%
Rand - Euro
17.05
-0.7%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.23
-0.6%
Rand - Yen
0.12
-0.9%
Gold
1,807.33
-0.6%
Silver
20.28
-2.2%
Palladium
1,938.00
-1.3%
Platinum
897.50
-2.2%
Brent Crude
116.26
-1.5%
Top 40
60,109
-2.4%
All Share
66,223
-2.3%
Resource 10
63,748
-3.2%
Industrial 25
79,405
-1.4%
Financial 15
14,686
-3.3%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE