Extractor fan malfunction behind 'gas' leak at Wits residence

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Students are seen in front of the Great Hall at the University of the Witwatersrand.
Students are seen in front of the Great Hall at the University of the Witwatersrand.
Gallo Images / Sowetan / Sandile Ndlovu
  • Around 60 Wits students were hospitalised on Sunday.
  • They became ill after eating at a dining hall, the university said.
  • The dining hall has since been closed and the matter is under investigation.

Preliminary investigations into a suspected gas leak at a campus residence at Wits University revealed that one of the main extractor fans in the kitchen apparently malfunctioned, causing "kitchen fumes" to enter the dining hall.

Around 60 students were hospitalised after they fell ill at the residence in Johannesburg.

Paramedics were called to the scene in Parktown at around 18:00 on Sunday, after "numerous students complained of shortness of breath",  ER24 spokesperson Russel Meiring said.

"On arrival, emergency workers found that numerous students, aged 18 and upwards, had already evacuated the buildings and were...crowding the sidewalk and street," Meiring added.

"Medics set up a triage area and began to tend to the patients, assessing approximately 170 people."

READ | Suspected gas leak affects pupils in Richards Bay, northern KwaZulu-Natal

Wits University spokesperson Shirona Patel said the incident took place in a dining hall. The hall has been closed since.

"The university can confirm that a group of students from one residence cluster presented with similar symptoms last night. It seems like they were all eating at one dining hall."

The 60 people were transported to hospitals in the area and the rest declined further treatment, Meiring added.

"The exact details surrounding this incident are unknown, but local authorities were on the scene for further investigations," Meiring said.

He said a gas leak was suspected.

Patel added that preliminary investigations had shown that one of the main extractor fans in the kitchen apparently malfunctioned. This resulted in "kitchen fumes" entering the dining hall.



"[The extractor fan] is being tested and will be fixed, replaced and tested before the Highfield Dining Hall reopens. Our occupational health and safety team is on site. All students have recovered well and nurses from our campus health and wellness centre are also on site to monitor them," added Patel.


Never miss a story. Choose from our range of newsletters to get the news you want delivered straight to your inbox.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Eskom has considered continuous load shedding at Stage 2, instead of introducing it when the power system faces a crunch. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'm all for it - we're going to have power cuts regardless, so we might as well have some stability to better plan our lives
45% - 4446 votes
No thanks! I prefer having periods of no load shedding and we cannot normalise this crisis
55% - 5398 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.04
-0.4%
Rand - Pound
19.34
+0.2%
Rand - Euro
17.48
-0.6%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.75
-0.5%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.4%
Gold
1,645.12
+0.1%
Silver
18.67
-1.0%
Palladium
2,086.50
+0.7%
Platinum
860.00
+0.2%
Brent Crude
86.15
-5.0%
Top 40
56,830
-0.5%
All Share
63,103
-0.5%
Resource 10
55,701
-1.1%
Industrial 25
78,843
+0.5%
Financial 15
13,902
-1.7%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE