Johannesburg - SRC presidents from various institutions on Thursday met Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande to present him with their demands.
Addressing the media before their meeting in Johannesburg, the student leaders said they planned on presenting eight demands to the minister.
- an end to financial exclusion;
- clearance of all historical debt;
- free registration;
- all NSFAS issues to be addressed;
- a timeline on when free education would be implemented;
- quality student accommodation at all universities;
- international students, specifically from the rest of Africa, should have the same concessions as South African students, and;
- addressing language barriers which prevented some students from progressing in certain institutions.
The meeting was expected to continue for most of Thursday and would be followed by a report back.
President Jacob Zuma on Thursday announced a commission of inquiry to look into the feasibility of free higher education in the country.
This followed nationwide student protests last year against fee increases. Students shut down universities, demanding free education.