Two Gauteng pupils die in separate incidents

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Two Gauteng pupils have died in separate incidents.
Two Gauteng pupils have died in separate incidents.
Kayleen Morgan
  • Two Gauteng school pupils died in separate events on Wednesday.
  • The Gauteng Education Department said it had sent officials to both schools to offer staff and pupils support.
  • MEC Panyaza Lesufi sent his condolences to the pupils' families.

The Gauteng Education Department says two children died at schools in the province in separate incidents on Wednesday.

In the first incident, an 18-year-old girl, attending an early morning class at Sekanontoane Secondary School in Soweto, suddenly rushed to a tap, complaining that she was struggling to breathe.

According the department, school officials rushed her to a nearby clinic after alerting the girl's parents.

At the clinic, staff determined the pupil needed further medical treatment and she was rushed to Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, where she died hours later.

IN NUMBERS | Matric 2020: National pass rate drops to 76.2%

In the second incident, at Dominican School for the Deaf in Hammanskraal, north of Pretoria, a 17-year-old boy died of a suspected suicide.

Paramedics tried to save the teen after a group of pupils discovered him in one of the hostels. He was declared dead on the scene.

The department said members of its psycho-social unit had been dispatched to both schools on Thursday to offer staff and pupils counselling and support.

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi conveyed his condolences to both pupils' families and their school communities.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Eskom has considered continuous load shedding at Stage 2, instead of introducing it when the power system faces a crunch. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'm all for it - we're going to have power cuts regardless, so we might as well have some stability to better plan our lives
45% - 4456 votes
No thanks! I prefer having periods of no load shedding and we cannot normalise this crisis
55% - 5400 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.04
-0.4%
Rand - Pound
19.34
+0.2%
Rand - Euro
17.48
-0.6%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.75
-0.5%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.4%
Gold
1,644.61
+0.1%
Silver
18.66
-1.1%
Palladium
2,086.65
+0.7%
Platinum
859.00
+0.1%
Brent Crude
86.15
-5.0%
Top 40
56,830
-0.5%
All Share
63,103
-0.5%
Resource 10
55,701
-1.1%
Industrial 25
78,843
+0.5%
Financial 15
13,902
-1.7%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE