#UnrestSA: More than 500 people appear in courts in West Rand district - Gauteng NPA

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Police officers round up suspected looters in Soweto.
Police officers round up suspected looters in Soweto.
James Oatway/Getty Images
  • Over 500 people have appeared in court for alleged incidents of public violence, looting, and burning of infrastructure.
  • This is linked to the wave of unrest in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
  • Police Minister Bheki Cele previously said there was a list of 12 instigators of the unrest.

More than 500 people appeared in various courts in the West Rand district for alleged incidents of public violence, looting, and burning of infrastructure in Soweto, bringing the total number of those facing prosecution to 682.

This was revealed by the Gauteng National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in a statement on Monday.

"They are facing charges ranging from public violence, theft, malicious injury to property, the contravention of the Disaster Management Act, housebreaking with intent to commit an offence and robbery," NPA Spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane said.

The suspects are between the ages of 18 and 72.

READ | #UnrestSA: Ngizwe Mchunu hands himself over to police

According to the NPA, most of them were remanded until the hearing of their bail applications, which will take place between this week and 21 August 2021.

"... Bail was fixed for the 20 of them after careful consideration of each case and the merits thereof. The bail amounts vary from R1 000 to R5 000 each," Mjonondwane added.

The NPA said it continues to deal with the influx of dockets related to the past week's unrest and is, "... expecting numbers of people that face prosecution to increase as law enforcement is currently embarking on reclaiming the loot from alleged thieves."

READ | #UnrestSA: We have a list of 12 instigators, Cele says

The country experienced a wave of unrest in the provinces of KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

Scores of malls were looted and some buildings were so damaged to the extent that there was nothing left to salvage following the days of looting.

Police Minister Bheki Cele says that they have a list of 12 instigators of the current unrest and looting in South Africa, News24 reported.

Cele said on Monday: "There are five people arrested now, two have been in court, they did not get bail. One was from Westonaria and the other in Roodepoort. One lady is yet to appear in court, another was arrested and now a fifth has been arrested today and they have not appeared in court."

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
After the opening weekend of URC action, what did you make of the South African struggles?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It exposed the quality of South African rugby...
40% - 500 votes
There were positives to take
7% - 91 votes
We shouldn't read too much into one weekend
17% - 215 votes
It will take the SA sides time to adjust to the new competition
36% - 445 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.96
-0.0%
Rand - Pound
20.50
-0.3%
Rand - Euro
17.50
+0.2%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.90
-0.5%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.2%
Gold
1,750.46
0.0%
Silver
22.62
+0.8%
Palladium
1,970.64
-0.2%
Platinum
983.87
-0.3%
Brent Crude
78.09
+1.1%
Top 40
57,784
+0.3%
All Share
64,197
+0.2%
Resource 10
57,744
+0.9%
Industrial 25
82,891
+0.0%
Financial 15
14,246
-0.5%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE