- Sources in law enforcement have told News24 that there was a desperate scramble to track down more than 1.5m rounds of ammunition stolen during rampant looting.
- The bullets were imported by an ammunition wholesaler..
- Bullets of varying calibers are now missing.
More than a 1.5 million rounds of ammunition looted from a container depot in Mobeni during a rampant spate of unrest are still missing.
The ammunition had been stored in a container at a depot in Prospecton, which was breached by looters on Wednesday.
Sources with knowledge of the incident said that the bullets were housed in a container stacked high off the ground, lending credence to claims that the depot may have been intentionally targeted.
Johan Coertze, an ammunition importer, said the bullets belong to him.
"I can't really give specifics about numbers and calibres, but they were ours. They were imported by us, and I am meeting the Hawks on Monday," he said.
He said the ammunition would have been sold to gun shops and dealerships but would not be drawn to comment further.
While visiting police operations in the province on Wednesday evening, Police Minister Bheki Cele revealed that 10 000 rounds of ammunition, thought to have originated from this container, were seized.
The lion's share remains missing in the ether.
EDITORS NOTE | News24 earlier reported that the cache of ammunition had been imported from Brazil and destined for distribution across the country's South African National Defence Force bases. We have since established that it was imported by a private arms wholesaler for commercial sale. We apologise for the error.