Cape Town – The Economic Freedom Fighters' call for the National Youth Development Agency board selection process to be scrapped is a delaying tactic, says a parliamentary ad hoc committee tasked with the job.
The committee said in a statement that it had followed due process in shortlisting the candidates.
This after the EFF labelled the process unlawful and called for it to be restarted.
EFF spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi said the party had written to the Speaker to instruct the ad hoc committee to halt the process "until the spirit and letter of the law have been complied with, and due regard is given to properly qualified young South Africans".
The committee's process, thus far, was unlawful and based on "irrationality, inspired by narrow partisanship, rather than the interests of youth development in South Africa", he said.
The committee hit back on Wednesday and said the EFF should have raised these concerns at the meeting in December where candidates were shortlisted.
DA MP 'disingenuous'
The EFF was not present at that meeting. EFF chief whip Floyd Shivambu said the party had not been invited.
"The committee is of the view that the objection is merely a delaying tactic aimed at frustrating the process and thereby undermining the work of the committee. The unintended effect is the extension of the time within which the NYDA functions without a board."
The committee said it remained committed to finishing its work on time.
It was convinced that correct procedures had been followed from the start of the process and expressed confidence that any challenge of the process would be unsuccessful.
The committee also hit back at Democratic Alliance MP Yusuf Cassim, who called the process a "sham".
"While the committee acknowledges and respects Mr Cassim's democratic right to free speech, the committee considers it disingenuous that he would berate the committee on social media for decisions taken by a collective."