Western Cape police probe viral video, cops' response to assault of naked men

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
  • Western Cape police have launched a probe into a viral video of the assault of two naked men
  • In the background of video, a police officer can be see standing next to a police vehicle.
  • Six people have been arrested and they have been charged with murder and attempted murder.

Western Cape police have launched an internal investigation into a video of the assault of two men in the presence of a police officer in Delft.

The video reportedly shows community members assaulting the naked men. In the background, a police officer can be seen standing next to a marked police vehicle. The incident resulted in the death of one of the men. Six people have been arrested.

"The management of the SAPS in the Western Cape has learnt with concern of a video circulating on social media platforms, depicting two naked men being assaulted by community members with a South African Police Service vehicle in the background. The video also shows a member of the SAPS standing next to the vehicle, which later reverses from the scene. It is on this basis that an internal investigation has been instituted," said police spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa.

She said police management instituted the probe immediately after they were alerted to the video on Saturday.

So far, it has been established that the incident occurred on 25 February 2021 at the N2 Gateway in Delft at approximately 06:50. One of the men died in hospital shortly after the attack while the other sustained a serious injury, Potelwa said.

READ | Two men allegedly slapped, sjambokked by police in viral video lay charges

"The internal probe is currently focussing on the police's initial response to the crime scene in an effort to determine whether the first responders acted accordingly from the time they arrived on the scene of [the] crime," Potelwa added.

In addition, the investigation, which is being led by Major General Vincent Beaton and the office of the provincial commissioner, is also looking into what was not captured on the video.

The six men who were arrested have been charged with murder and attempted murder.

Their next court appearance is scheduled for 9 May.

Do you want to know more about this topic? Sign up for one of News24's 33 newsletters to receive the information you want in your inbox. Special newsletters are available to subscribers.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Is social media doing more harm than good?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, our children are exposed and we can't protect them
49% - 3393 votes
Yes, but social media is part of the new reality
46% - 3152 votes
No, it's great for growing a child's world view
5% - 340 votes
Vote
USD/ZAR
14.27
(-0.8)
GBP/ZAR
19.85
(-0.7)
EUR/ZAR
17.19
(-0.4)
AUD/ZAR
11.06
(-0.7)
JPY/ZAR
0.13
(-0.7)
Gold
1,793.16
(+0.4)
Silver
26.73
(+0.9)
Platinum
1,239.50
(+0.8)
Brent Crude
68.96
(+0.1)
Palladium
2,964.12
(-0.4)
All Share
67,261
(-0.1)
Top 40
61,406
(-0.2)
Financial 15
12,542
(+1.5)
Industrial 25
85,591
(-0.1)
Resource 10
69,662
(-1.0)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo