Zandspruit mob justice: Case of 14 accused transferred to Gauteng High Court

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
A general view of a scene where 4 people were killed in an alleged mob justice attack in Zandspruit.
A general view of a scene where 4 people were killed in an alleged mob justice attack in Zandspruit.
(Photo by Gallo Images/Luba Lesolle)
  • The case of 14 people accused of killing eight men in an alleged mob justice attack in Zandspruit has been postponed to next year.
  • The case will be heard in the Gauteng High Court on Johannesburg.
  • Three of the accused are expected to lodge a bail application on the basis of new facts.

The case of 14 people accused of murdering eight men in a mob justice attack in Zandspruit earlier this year, has been transferred to the Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg.

Magistrate Delise Smith transferred the matter to that court from the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court.

Smith warned the accused that they could be sentenced to life imprisonment if the High Court convicted them.

"Let me warn you that you could be facing sentences of life for each count of murder should the High Court find you guilty. You could also be sentenced to five for each count of kidnapping. For other counts, the High Court will decide an appropriate sentence to impose if you are found guilty of the charges you are facing.

"Those of you who have witnesses, you must bring that to the attention of the judge. Those who don't have witnesses, you have enough time to think about it," Smith said.

Tebogo Mabula, Mziwamangwane Witbooi, Njabulo Zwane, Phakiswa Tsengiswa, Maxwell Mpofu, Klaas Masemola, Joshua Mabodze, Alfred Mollo, Everyone Moyo, Phillemon Seemela, Douglas Tshuma, Charles Ramashia, Phiwe Khubeka and Peter Mufamadi briefly appeared before Smith on Thursday. Tsengiswa is the only woman among the accused.

Each of the accused face eight counts of murder, eight counts of kidnapping, two counts of attempted murder and a charge of housebreaking with intent to commit murder and theft.

READ | Zandspruit vigilante killings: Families of victims still haunted by screams of their sons

They were provided with copies of the indictment.

Smith also ordered that Mabula, Witbooi, Zwane, Moyo, and Mufamadi should be transferred from Krugersdorp to join Masemola, Mabodze, Mollo, Tshuma, Seemela and Ramashia in Johannesburg Prison.

Witbooi, Zwane, Moyo, Tshuma and Mufamadi applied for Legal Aid representation.

The rest will be represented by private lawyers.

The court extended the bail of Tsengiswa, Seemela and Khubeka and the lawyer representing Masemola, Mollo and Mabula told Smith that he would lodge a second bail application on behalf of his clients. The lawyer, Martin Gede, said he obtained new facts which he intended to use during the bail application.

The State alleges that the accused were part of an angry mob of people who kidnapped nine young men from their homes between 18 and 19 May, this year.

The men were severely assaulted and frog marched, with their hands bound behind their backs, to dusty soccer field, where they were beaten. They were later doused with paraffin and set alight.

Onlookers cheered but the families of the victims pleaded for the young men to be handed over to the police.

The victims were accused of terrorising Zandspruit residents.

Four of them died at the scene and another four succumbed to their injuries in hospital. One survived the ordeal

The case will be heard in the Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg on 28 January 2022.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
President Ramaphosa has punted the idea of mandatory Covid-19 vaccinations for South Africans. This is:
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
The right thing to do. We desperately need more South Africans vaccinated to prevent further mutations and restore normality in our lives.
71% - 9787 votes
A risky strategy. Compulsory vaccinations may have unintended consequences and damage our rollout campaign.
29% - 3938 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
16.05
+0.2%
Rand - Pound
21.24
+0.1%
Rand - Euro
18.12
+0.3%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.26
-0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.14
+0.3%
Gold
1,783.39
-0.1%
Silver
22.51
-0.2%
Palladium
1,810.00
-0.3%
Platinum
940.50
+0.5%
Brent Crude
69.88
+0.3%
Top 40
64,307
0.0%
All Share
70,808
0.0%
Resource 10
66,503
0.0%
Industrial 25
93,791
0.0%
Financial 15
13,982
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE