Cape Town - This year’s Sanlam Cape Town Marathon will be taking place on the weekend of the 17 and 18 September, and entries are now open.
The race offers the opportunity for participants from both South Africa and around the world to run through the beautiful city of Cape Town, and will award prize money in excess of R2 million, the largest sum ever offered for a South African standard marathon.
Elana Meyer, ambassador for the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon says they are "already receiving huge international interest", and we believe her!
Apart from the prize money, the greatest reward coming to Cape Town is seeing the Mother City's most amazing natural scenery, experiencing the local cuisine and getting to meet the local people.
That's probably why last year's runners came from 51 countries around the world. The marathon also saw 37 elite athletes from 6 different countries competing for the grand title.
Why not make this your year to compete too...?
Where: Cape Town
When: 17 - 18 September 2016
You can take part in the following events:
• Sanlam Cape Town Marathon 42.2km – the classic Olympian 42.2km standard marathon distance. 18 September – 07:00
• Sanlam Cape Town 10km PEACE Run/Walk. 18 September – 06:50
• Sanlam Cape Town 4.2km PEACE Fun Run. 17 September – 12:00
• Sanlam Cape Town 12km and 22km PEACE Trail Runs. 17 September – 07:45 and 07:00
Last year Sanlam Cape Town Marathon had a total of 15 844 participants in all the events held over the weekend, with the 42.2km standard marathon seeing 5737 entrants.
This was a fantastic turnout and Cape Town saw a huge influx to the Mother City for the event.
You can register online.
What to read next on Traveller24:
- Epic SA Easter guide
- WATCH: Planning your holiday on the go just got easier with Google destinations
- Old Ceres steam train brought back to life