Cape Town - Cape Town is approaching the busiest time of the year in terms of visitors and local fun seekers, and those who have been driving around the city would have noticed the increase in traffic already.
That's why the City of Cape Town, in partnership with Transport for Cape Town, announced that they will extend the operating hours of the MyCiTi bus service during the holidays.
As from Thursday 10 December 2015 until Thursday 24 December 2015, additional trips will be added to some routes due to extended shopping hours at the V&A Waterfront and Canal Walk:
• Route 214 (Marine Circle, Table View, Parklands): one extra trip will be added, linking with the last T01 bus from the Waterfront station. The last bus on Route 214 will depart from the Table View station at 23:20 and the last bus from the Parklands Main North stop at 22:55
• T01 (Dunoon, Table View, Civic Centre, Waterfront): one extra trip will be added on weekdays at 22:25 from the Waterfront station
• D01 (Khayelitsha East, Civic Centre): one extra trip will be added at 22:45 from the Civic Centre station
• D04 (Kapteinsklip, Civic Centre): one extra trip will be added at 22:45 from the Civic Centre station
The following trips have been added as from Friday 4 December 2015 and will apply until Wednesday 23 December 2015:
• Route 251 (Century City, Montague Gardens): two additional trips have been added at 22:00 and 22:30 from the Century City Railway stop
• T03 (Atlantis, Melkbosstrand, Table View, Omuramba): additional trips have been added at 21:28 and 21:58 from the Atlantis station and at 22:32 and 23:02 from the Omuramba station on weekdays
• Additional trips have been added at 21:23 and 21:53 from the Atlantis station and at 21:38, 22:35 and 23:05 from the Omuramba station on weekends and public holidays
• T04 (Dunoon, Century City): the last trip of the day departs at 22:30 from the Century City station
Extra trips will be added to MyCiTi routes to popular beaches along the Atlantic Seaboard and to Melkbosstrand:
• 16, 25, 26 and 27 December 2015 and 1 and 3 January 2016: extra trips will be added to Routes 107, 108, 109 and 217 from 12:00 until approximately 22:00
• 2 January 2016: extra trips will be added to Route 108
Additional trips will be added on New Year’s Eve, 31 December 2015:
• T01: a bus will depart from Usasaza to the V&A Waterfront every 20 minutes from 21:35 until 23:55
• T01: a bus will depart from the V&A Waterfront every 20 minutes from 22:25 until 01:05
• Route 107: a bus will depart from the Civic Centre to Camps Bay every 30 minutes from 21:30 until 01:00
• Route 107: a bus will depart from Camps Bay to the Civic Centre every 30 minutes from 21:55 until 01:25
• Route 214: a bus will depart from Parklands Main North to Marine Circle every 30 minutes from 21:40 until 01:40
• Route 214: a bus will depart from Marine Circle to Parklands Main North every 30 minutes from 22:00 until 02:00
• Route 217: a bus will depart from Table View to Melkbosstrand every 30 minutes from 22:00 until 01:00
• Route 217: a bus will depart from Melkbosstrand to Table View every 30 minutes from 22:30 until 01:30
The MyCiTi schedules will also be adjusted to cater for quieter morning and afternoon peak-hour periods due to the annual holiday period as from Monday 21 December 2015 to Sunday 10 January 2016.
"We want to encourage visitors and residents to opt for the MyCiTi bus service which is a safe, affordable and scheduled alternative to private vehicles which will, beyond all doubt, be affected by traffic congestion during the next six weeks or so," the City said in a statement.
For more information, visit the MyCiTi website.