Bomb disposal called to Manchester college in false alarm

accreditation
(iStock)
(iStock)

Manchester -Bomb disposal units responded to a call at a college in Manchester on Thursday which turned out to be a false alarm, police investigating Monday's terror attack in the city said.

Police said a "possible suspicious package... has now been deemed safe and the cordon has been removed".

Police earlier said EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) units had been called to the site in Hulme, an area just south of the city centre.

It said several roads in the area were closed.

"Officers are in attendance and we are currently assessing the situation," they said.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, I believed it was authentic
7% - 189 votes
Yes, I didn't want to spend that much money on the original item
20% - 567 votes
No, I always shop at reputable stores
14% - 387 votes
No, I don't wear designer clothing
59% - 1636 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.95
-1.3%
Rand - Pound
20.44
-1.0%
Rand - Euro
17.53
-1.2%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.86
-0.9%
Rand - Yen
0.14
-0.9%
Gold
1,748.09
+0.3%
Silver
22.40
-0.5%
Palladium
1,970.07
-0.8%
Platinum
983.76
-0.9%
Brent Crude
77.25
+1.4%
Top 40
57,643
0.0%
All Share
64,049
0.0%
Resource 10
57,254
0.0%
Industrial 25
82,879
0.0%
Financial 15
14,316
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE