New Zealand mosque shootings: Shooter unmoved as victims' families address sentencing hearing

play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
This file picture taken on 16 March 2019 shows Brenton Tarrant (C), the man charged in relation to the Christchurch massacre, standing in the dock during his appearance at the Christchurch District Court.
This file picture taken on 16 March 2019 shows Brenton Tarrant (C), the man charged in relation to the Christchurch massacre, standing in the dock during his appearance at the Christchurch District Court.
PHOTO: Mark Mitchell/Pool/AFP
  • White supremacist Brenton Tarrant, who killed 51 people at two mosques in New Zealand, watched emotionless as victims' relatives addressed the court.
  • Australian national Tarrant could be the first person in New Zealand to receive a life term without parole, when sentencing is handed down later this week.
  • According to a prosecutor, Tarrant told police he wanted to create fear among Muslims and expressed regret for not taking more lives.

WELLINGTON – A white supremacist who killed 51 people at two mosques in New Zealand last year watched without emotion on Monday as relatives of his victims recounted the horror of a massacre which prosecutors said he carefully planned to cause maximum carnage.

Australian national Brenton Tarrant, 29, has pleaded guilty to 51 murders, 40 attempted murders and one charge of committing a terrorist act during the shooting rampage in the city of Christchurch, which he livestreamed on Facebook.

He could be the first person in New Zealand to receive a term of life in prison without parole, when a High Court judge sentences him later this week for carrying out the deadliest shooting in the country's history, on 15 March last year.

Dressed in grey prison clothes, Tarrant looked at those delivering victim impact statements, including the mother of Ata Elayyan, the 33-year-old goalkeeper for the New Zealand futsal team who was slain in the Al Noor mosque.

Maysoon Salama said she constantly wondered what her son was thinking in his last moments "armed only with his courage".

'You killed your own humanity'

"I can't forgive you ... you gave yourself the authority to take the souls of 51 people. Our only crime in your eyes is that we are Muslims," she said.

She said: 

You killed your own humanity and I don't think the world will forgive you for your horrible crime. May you get the severest punishment for your evil act in this life, and hereafter.

Elayyan was near the back of the mosque while his father, near the front, survived the attack despite being shot in the head and shoulder.

Gamal Fouda, imam of Al Noor mosque, told Tarrant that he was "misguided and misled".

"I can say to the family of the terrorist that they have lost a son and we have lost many from our community too," Fouda said.

"I respect them because they are suffering as we are."

Tarrant will be allowed to speak at some point during the hearings, although Justice Cameron Mander has powers to ensure the High Court is not used as a platform for extremist ideology.

Meticulous planning

The attacks prompted a global outpouring of grief, as well as scrutiny of social media platforms after the then-28-year-old livestreamed the shootings shortly after uploading a manifesto.

Crown prosecutor Barnaby Hawes said Tarrant told police that he wanted to create fear among the small Muslim minority in New Zealand.

Tarrant had also expressed regret for not taking more lives and revealed that he had intended to burn down the Al Noor mosque after the shootings, Hawes said.

Hawes said: 

He intended to instil fear into those he described as invaders, including the Muslim population or more generally non-European immigrants.

Tarrant fired "two precisely aimed shots" at three-year-old Mucaad Ibrahim, who was clinging to his father's leg, Hawes said. Ibrahim was the youngest victim of the shootings.

The shooter spent years purchasing high-powered firearms, researched mosque layouts by flying a drone over his primary target, and timed his attacks to maximise casualties, the prosecutor said.

While most of Tarrant's victims were at Al Noor mosque, he killed seven people at a second mosque before being detained en route to a third.

Tight security

Security was tight outside the court, with police dogs pacing the streets and snipers on rooftops, television footage showed.

With social distancing measures in place due to the coronavirus pandemic, some survivors and victims' relatives had to view the proceedings in overflow court rooms.

Live reporting from the courtroom was banned, and other restrictions were put in place on what the media could report.

Justice Mander said he would not sentence Tarrant before Thursday, so that survivors and family members of victims had an opportunity to address the court.

A murder conviction carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison. The judge can impose a life term without parole, a sentence that has never been used in New Zealand.

The hearings were adjourned until Tuesday morning.

Did you know you can comment on this article? Subscribe to News24 and add your voice to the conversation.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
Voting Booth
Until the matric exams are over, my family is:
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Self-isolating to ensure we don't miss any exams
13% - 213 votes
Following Covid-19 safety protocols, but still going out like normal
53% - 859 votes
Business as usual, we're not worried about the virus
33% - 535 votes
Brent Crude
All Share
Top 40
Financial 15
Industrial 25
Resource 10
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo