Cannon Ball - North Dakota lawmakers are encouraging the thousands of Dakota Access oil pipeline protesters to respect the mandate to leave the sprawling, months-old encampment that's on federal land.
According to Standing Rock Sioux tribal leader Dave Archambault, the US Army Corps of Engineers sent him a letter that said all federal lands north of the Cannonball River will be closed to public access on December 5 for "safety concerns," including the oncoming winter and the increasingly contentious clashes between protesters and police.
The largest encampment, Oceti Sakowin, is on Corps land in southern North Dakota, a place where several hundred people fighting against the four-state, $3.8 billion pipeline have created a self-sustaining community and put up semi-permanent structures in advance of the harsh winter.
The encampment is near the confluence of the Missouri and Cannonball rivers and more than a kilometre from a Missouri River reservoir under which the pipeline will pass. That final large segment is yet to be completed, held up while the Corps consults with the tribe, who believe the project could harm the tribe's drinking water and Native American cultural sites.
In early October, the Corps said it would not evict the encampment, which started as overflow from smaller private and permitted protest sites nearby and began growing in August, due to free speech reasons.
It isn't clear whether the protesters will move voluntarily to another site or where that site might be; the Corps says in its letter that a free speech zone will be set up south of the Cannonball River.
President Barack Obama raised the possibility of rerouting the pipeline in that area earlier this month, something Kelcy Warren, CEO of Texas-based pipeline developer Energy Transfer Partners,said that was not an option from the company's standpoint. Obama said his administration is monitoring the "challenging situation" but would "let it play out for several more weeks."