Thousands of Afghan families flee fighting in former Taliban bastion

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
 (Rahmat Gul, AP)
(Rahmat Gul, AP)
  • Thousands of Afghan families have fled their homes due to to the fighting in the former Taliban bastion of Kandahar.
  • In recent months violence has surged across several provinces.
  • Families have moved from the volatile districts to safe areas in the city.


More than 22 000 Afghan families have fled from their homes to escape fighting in the former Taliban bastion of Kandahar, officials said on Sunday, as authorities arrested four suspected insurgents over this week's rocket attack on Kabul.

Since early May, violence has surged across several provinces including in Kandahar after the insurgents launched a sweeping offensive just days after the US-led foreign forces began their final withdrawal.

The Taliban's deadly assault has seen the insurgents capture scores of districts, border crossings and encircle several provincial capitals.

"The fighting has displaced 22,000 families in the past one month in Kandahar," Dost Mohammad Daryab, head of the provincial refugee department, told AFP.

READ | US House approves bid to add 8 000 visas for at-risk Afghans

"They have all moved from the volatile districts of the city to safer areas."

On Sunday, fighting continued on the outskirts of Kandahar city.

"The negligence of some security forces, especially the police, has made way for the Taliban to come that close," Lalai Dastageeri, deputy governor of Kandahar province, told AFP.

"We are now trying to organise our security forces."

Local authorities had set up four camps for the displaced people who are estimated to be about 154,000.

Kandahar resident Hafiz Mohammad Akbar said his house had been taken over by the Taliban after he fled.

Akbar said:

They forced us to leave ... I am now living with my 20-member family in a compound with no toilet.

Fears of fighting to increase

Residents expressed concerns the fighting might increase in days ahead.

"If they really want to fight, they should go to a desert and fight, not destroy the city," said Khan Mohammad, who moved to a camp with his family.

"Even if they win, they can't rule a ghost town."

Kandahar, with its 650,000 inhabitants, is the second-largest city in Afghanistan after Kabul.

The southern province was the epicentre of the Taliban's regime when they ruled Afghanistan between 1996 to 2001.

READ | Biden says it's up to Afghans to run their country as US leaves

Ousted from power in a US-led invasion in 2001 after the September 11 attacks, the Taliban have spearheaded a deadly insurgency that continues to this day.

Their latest offensive launched in early May has seen the group take control of half of the country's about 400 districts.

Earlier this week, the chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff General Mark Milley said the Taliban appear to have "strategic momentum" on the battlefield.

But global rights group Human Rights Watch said there were reports the Taliban were committing atrocities against civilians in areas they had captured, including in the town of Spin Boldak near the border with Pakistan they captured earlier this month.

Patricia Grossman, associate Asia director at HRW said in a statement:

Taliban leaders have denied responsibility for any abuses, but growing evidence of expulsions, arbitrary detentions, and killings in areas under their control are raising fears among the population.

The authorities meanwhile announced they had arrested four men they said belonged to the Taliban, accusing them of carrying out this week's rocket attack on Kabul.

"A Taliban commander, Momin, along with his three other men, have been arrested. They all belong to the Taliban group," ministry spokesman Mirwais Stanikzai told reporters in a video message.

READ | Over 1,000 Afghan troops facing advancing Taliban forces retreated and fled the country

At least three rockets landed near the palace on Tuesday as President Ashraf Ghani and his top officials performed outdoor prayers to mark the start of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.

The attack was however claimed by the jihadist Islamic State group.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Have you decided who you are voting for on 1 November?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, and it is the same party I voted for previously
51% - 722 votes
Yes, but my vote has changed to a new party
28% - 399 votes
No, I am still undecided
20% - 285 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.09
-0.7%
Rand - Pound
20.77
-0.9%
Rand - Euro
17.52
-1.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.34
-0.7%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.9%
Gold
1,802.96
+0.3%
Silver
24.11
+0.2%
Palladium
1,999.43
+2.1%
Platinum
1,022.38
+1.0%
Brent Crude
84.58
-2.1%
Top 40
61,314
+0.6%
All Share
67,980
+0.7%
Resource 10
64,164
+1.0%
Industrial 25
87,663
+0.7%
Financial 15
13,997
-0.3%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE