Trump 'strongly' denies affair with porn star Stormy Daniels

Adult film actress Stormy Daniels and US President Donald Trump. (Ethan Miller, Olivier Douliery/AFP)
Adult film actress Stormy Daniels and US President Donald Trump. (Ethan Miller, Olivier Douliery/AFP)

Washington – The White House hit back at porn star Stormy Daniels on Monday, insisting there was "nothing to corroborate" her claims of extramarital sex with Donald Trump.

In its first response to a primetime interview watched by more than 21 million Americans, the White House questioned Daniels' credibility and challenged her to present proof.

"The president has strongly, clearly and has consistently denied" allegations of sexual liaison, White House spokesperson Raj Shah said.

ALSO READ: Trump lawyer claims porn star liable for $20 million

Trump has never spoken publicly about the allegations and has repeatedly ignored questions from reporters about the issue, which has dogged the White House for months.

On Monday morning, Trump tweeted cryptically: "So much Fake News. Never been more voluminous or more inaccurate. But through it all, our country is doing great!"

The CBS interview on Sunday night brought the 39-year-old's long-simmering allegations of sex, hush money and intimidation to a national audience directly for the first time.

Daniels alleged the pair had unprotected sex after meeting at a celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe in July 2006 – shortly after Trump's wife Melania gave birth to their son.

'Near-hourly' threats

Daniels told Anderson Cooper on CBS's 60 Minutes that five years later she was approached by a man in a Las Vegas parking lot and warned to keep silent, after she had agreed to sell her story for $15 000.

Her lawyer, Michael Avenatti, told MSNBC on Monday that his client is receiving "threats on a near-hourly basis" and that "she's certainly scared for her safety and the safety of her family".

Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen has admitted paying Daniels $130 000 shortly before the 2016 election, but has not explained why.

"The president doesn't believe any of the claims Ms Daniels made in the interview last night were accurate," Shah said, while admitting Trump may not have watched it all.

ALSO READ: Porn actress says she was threatened to keep silent on Trump fling

"There's nothing to collaborate her claim," Shah added, going a step further and accusing her of changing her story.

"The only person who's been inconsistent is the one making the claims," he said, citing documents she signed denying the affair.

Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, has acknowledged she signed a non-disclosure agreement, with a potentially ruinous fine of $1m every time she speaks about the alleged tryst.

She is challenging the validity of the agreement in court.

Such contracts, while legal, have frequently been used by powerful men to hush up affairs, workplace harassment or even alleged sexual abuse.

Evangelical support

Avenatti said on Monday that the suit has now been expanded to accuse Cohen of defamation.

"We have added an allegation or claim of defamation against Mr Cohen for his previous denials of the affair – basically calling my client a liar," he told MSNBC.

Daniels is seeking both punitive damages and legal costs from Cohen, according to a court document filed on Monday.

The issue is a difficult one for Trump, potentially undermining his support among evangelical voters, fuelling legal jeopardy and causing friction with the East Wing of the White House, where First Lady Melania Trump has her offices.

ALSO READ: Porn star offers to repay $130k so she can discuss Trump

So far, she has not responded, but her spokesperson Stephanie Grisham urged respect.

"While I know the media is enjoying speculation & salacious gossip, I'd like to remind people there's a minor child whose name should be kept out of news stories when at all possible," she tweeted on Sunday.

Watchdogs have alleged the $130 000 payment may have constituted an undeclared campaign contribution, but the White House on Monday denied doing anything illegal.

"I can speak for only the White House. And I can say categorically that, obviously, the White House didn't engage in any – any wrongdoing," said Shah.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
When a Covid-19 vaccine for under 16's becomes available, will you be taking your children to get it?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, immediately!
38% - 4172 votes
I'll wait to see how others respond
26% - 2834 votes
No, I don't think they need it
36% - 4015 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
15.42
(-0.71)
ZAR/GBP
21.29
(-0.41)
ZAR/EUR
18.33
(-0.41)
ZAR/AUD
11.85
(-0.43)
ZAR/JPY
0.14
(-0.71)
Gold
1702.14
(-0.28)
Silver
25.43
(+0.12)
Platinum
1134.50
(-0.22)
Brent Crude
70.77
(0.00)
Palladium
2337.84
(+0.42)
All Share
68112.75
(-0.23)
Top 40
62658.14
(-0.21)
Financial 15
12739.43
(-0.16)
Industrial 25
86706.03
(-1.04)
Resource 10
71369.15
(+0.80)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo