US tells citizens to avoid Kabul airport due to 'security threats'

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
  • As thousands of Americans and Afghans wait at the airport for flights, there have been reports of Taliban fighters or other militants beating and harassing people.
  • On Saturday the US urged its citizens to avoid travelling to Kabul airport. 
  • According to Biden, up to 15 000 Americans need to be evacuated from Afghanistan.

The United States on Saturday urged its citizens in Afghanistan to avoid traveling to Kabul airport, citing "potential security threats" near its gates.

Hamid Karzai International Airport has seen a chaotic crush of people hoping to flee the Taliban takeover of the country a week ago.

As thousands of Americans and Afghans wait at the airport for flights or gather nervously outside its gates, there have been "sporadic" reports, confirmed by the Pentagon, of Taliban fighters or other militants beating and harassing people trying to flee.

"We are advising US citizens to avoid traveling to the airport and to avoid airport gates at this time unless you receive individual instructions from a US government representative," the alert from the US embassy in Kabul said.

The warning gave no detail on the danger but a White House official later said aides had briefed President Joe Biden on local "counterterrorism operations", including against the Islamic State group.

"This morning, the president met with his national security team... They discussed the security situation in Afghanistan and counter-terrorism operations, including ISIS-K," the official said.

Known as Islamic State in Khorasan (IS-K or ISIS-K), the Afghan IS branch has been on the back foot since suffering heavy losses in 2019, but retains the ability to carry out attacks in urban areas.

Up to 15 000 Americans need to be evacuated from Afghanistan, according to Biden, who says the administration wants to get at least 50 000 Afghan allies and their family members out of the country.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said the military was urgently trying to complete the evacuation of Kabul by the end of August.

"We've been very honest about the fact that we know that we're fighting against both time and space," he said, adding, "that's the race we're in right now."

'Botched exit' 

US Major General Hank Taylor said 17 000 people had so far been taken out since the operation began on August 14, with many flown first to Qatar or Kuwait. The total included 2 500 Americans.

He added that six military C-17 planes and 32 charter flights had departed Kabul airport in the past 24 hours with 3 800 people aboard, a sharp decline from the previous day.

On Friday, the US military sent helicopters to rescue over 150 Americans unable to reach the airport gates, an official said.

Biden has promised to help any American in Afghanistan seeking to evacuate, saying: "Any American who wants to come home, we will get you home."

But he has also admitted that the presence of thousands of US soldiers at the airport does not guarantee safe passage through Kabul.

In a telephone briefing Sunday, senior government officials from Canada described conditions around the airport as "tenuous, chaotic and desperate."

They said Canadian troops had evacuated nearly 1,000 Afghans from the country, adding: "This is a dangerous mission."

Former president Donald Trump, who was unseated by Biden in the 2020 election, berated his successor for the "botched exit" of American forces from Afghanistan.

He also praised the Taliban as "great negotiators, tough fighters" during a rally in Alabama.

Trump signed a deal with the Taliban that, subject to conditions, would have resulted in the complete withdrawal of US troops by May.

He also secured the release from a Pakistani prison of Taliban founder Abdul Ghani Baradar, the highest profile leader of the movement seen in public since the fall of Afghanistan.

Never miss a story. Choose from our range of newslettersto get the news you want delivered straight to your inbox.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Should Proteas star Quinton de Kock continue playing at the T20 World Cup even if he doesn't take the knee in support of the fight against racism?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! He should be allowed to show his support any way he chooses
39% - 2057 votes
No! If De Kock refuses to unite with his teammates, then he should be on the next plane home
12% - 632 votes
The only ones at fault here are Cricket SA, who have sabotaged another Proteas World Cup
49% - 2633 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.06
-0.0%
Rand - Pound
20.68
-0.1%
Rand - Euro
17.47
-0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.30
+0.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.3%
Gold
1,801.53
+0.3%
Silver
24.08
+0.1%
Palladium
1,981.00
+1.0%
Platinum
1,017.00
+0.5%
Brent Crude
84.58
-2.1%
Top 40
60,874
0.0%
All Share
67,475
0.0%
Resource 10
63,082
0.0%
Industrial 25
87,253
0.0%
Financial 15
14,054
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE