WATCH | North Korea tests new submarine-launched ballistic missile

orth Korea said it had successfully test-fired a new submarine-launched ballistic missile. (Screen grab, Reuters)
orth Korea said it had successfully test-fired a new submarine-launched ballistic missile. (Screen grab, Reuters)

North Korea said on Thursday it had successfully test-fired a new submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) which was necessary to contain external threats and enhance its self-defence, days before a new round of nuclear talks with the United States.

The launch on Wednesday was the most provocative by North Korea since it resumed dialogue with the US in 2018 and a reminder by Pyongyang of the weapons capability it had been aggressively developing, including intercontinental ballistic missiles, analysts said.

READ | North Korea fires ballistic missile ahead of nuclear talks

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un "sent warm congratulations" to the defence scientists who conducted the test, state news agency KCNA said, indicating he did not attend the launch as he had done previously at tests of new weapons systems.

The new type of SLBM called Pukguksong-3 was "fired in vertical mode" in the waters off the eastern city of Wonsan, KCNA said, confirming an assessment by South Korea's military on Wednesday.

"The successful new-type SLBM test-firing comes to be of great significance as it ushered in a new phase in containing the outside forces' threat to the DPRK and further bolstering its military muscle for self-defence," the state news agency said. DPRK is short for the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

'Refrain from provocations'

The test "had no adverse impact on the security of neighbouring countries", KCNA said but gave no further details.

Photos released in the North's official Rodong Sinmun newspaper showed a black-and-white painted missile emerging and clearing the surface of the water, then the booster rocket igniting to propel it into the sky.

A US State Department spokesperson called on Pyongyang to "refrain from provocations" and to remain committed to the nuclear negotiations.

South Korea expressed strong concern and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe condemned the launch, saying it was a violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

North Korea rejects UN resolutions that ban it from using ballistic missile technology, saying they are an infringement of its right to self-defence.

Talks aimed at dismantling North Korea's nuclear and missile programmes have been stalled since a second summit between Kim and US President Donald Trump in Vietnam in February broke down in disagreement over nuclear disarmament.

The Pukguksong-3 is thought to be a modification of an earlier version tested in 2015 to enhance its range, and was probably launched from a test platform rather than an actual submarine, said Kim Dong-yub, a military expert at Kyungnam University's Institute of Far Eastern Studies in Seoul.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
As a child or as an adult, have you ever been a victim of bullying?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, at school
55% - 64 votes
Yes, at work
20% - 23 votes
No, I've never experienced this
25% - 29 votes
Vote
USD/ZAR
14.31
(+0.7)
GBP/ZAR
19.82
(+1.5)
EUR/ZAR
17.15
(+1.2)
AUD/ZAR
11.07
(+0.8)
JPY/ZAR
0.13
(+1.0)
Gold
1,776.77
(+0.8)
Silver
25.96
(+0.4)
Platinum
1,204.50
(+0.6)
Brent Crude
66.94
(+0.5)
Palladium
2,781.00
(+1.3)
All Share
68,699
(+1.3)
Top 40
62,898
(+1.3)
Financial 15
12,446
(+0.8)
Industrial 25
89,364
(+0.8)
Resource 10
70,350
(+2.2)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo