White House sought military strike against Iran

accreditation

The White House demanded that the military draft plans for strikes on Iran after attacks in Iraq last year, sparking concern at the Pentagon and State Department, The Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

The report said the move came after a mortar attack launched by an Iran-linked group on the Baghdad diplomatic quarters home to the US embassy in September. No one was hurt by the shells, which landed in an open lot.

But the White House National Security Council (NSC) sought to develop a forceful American response to the low-scale attack, including options for a strike against the Islamic republic, the Journal reported.

It added that the NSC also requested options to respond with strikes in Iraq and Syria.

"It definitely rattled people," a former senior US administration official told the newspaper. "People were shocked. It was mind-boggling how cavalier they were about hitting Iran."

Although the Defence Department did develop proposals for a possible strike, the Journal said it was unclear whether they were shared with the White House.

In one NSC meeting, then deputy national security advisor Mira Ricardel called the attacks in Iraq an "act of war" and called for a decisive US response.

Pentagon officials stressed that it was not unusual for the Defence Department to draw up military plans for the White House.

"The Department of Defence is a planning organisation and provides the president military options for a variety of threats," Colonel Rob Manning, a Pentagon spokesperson, told AFP.

He said the Pentagon's activities include "routinely reviewing and updating plans and activities to deal with a host of threats, including those posed by Iran, to deter and, if necessary, to respond to aggression".

Asked about the report during his Middle East trip, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined comment.

After the attack in Baghdad, the White House warned that "the United States will hold the regime in Tehran accountable for any attack that results in injury to our personnel or damage to United States government facilities".

"America will respond swiftly and decisively in defense of American lives," it added.

National Security Advisor John Bolton, a known Iran hawk, has pressed for regime change in the Islamic republic.

He penned a 2015 New York Times opinion piece prior to his current role titled "To stop Iran's bomb, bomb Iran".

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Do you think South Africa needs tighter restrictions to combat the third wave?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes, the situation is grim and needs serious measures
27% - 1590 votes
No, we cannot afford more lockdowns
34% - 1984 votes
Yes, but only in provinces where it is out of control
39% - 2326 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.19
+0.6%
Rand - Pound
19.78
+0.6%
Rand - Euro
16.95
+0.5%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.73
+0.5%
Rand - Yen
0.13
+0.9%
Gold
1,783.16
+0.2%
Silver
25.96
+0.7%
Palladium
2,596.00
+1.5%
Platinum
1,085.50
+0.2%
Brent Crude
74.81
-0.1%
Top 40
59,565
+0.1%
All Share
65,657
+0.2%
Resource 10
62,339
+0.7%
Industrial 25
86,884
-0.4%
Financial 15
12,908
+0.6%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo