We have a new feature starting on Parent24 this week called The Great Debate that we are hosting on our Facebook page, where parents can weigh in on different paths that you can take in this parenting journey. No way is better than the other and we all make different parenting choices depending on our views of life.
Personally, we use both. Cloth at home and sometimes at night and disposables when we're out and about or when our son goes to his grandparents for the day.
Interestingly the cloth moms were the most vocal on the Facebook debate yet our homepage poll said that 76% of parents use disposables.
We asked our Facebook parents what side they fell on and here's what they had to say:
- Our reasons for going cloth were purely environmental. The cost savings and health reasons were a bonus. Once you're in a routine it really isn't that difficult.
- Using cloth as part of my household going green. I am also worried about the materials used in manufacturing disposables (I work in the petrochemical sector). I agree that you have to change cloth more often, but disposables as well. No baby should be in the same diaper more than 3 hours.
- Definitely cloth! They are super cute on baby's bum, save a lot of money if you do cloth diapering on a budget and have resale value too. They are awesome!
- I use both. But much prefer my cloth. You never realise how disposables stink.
- New to cloth (started two months ago) - and I can honestly say its easier than I thought, I have saved so much money (I can see it) and modern cloth is easier than what our parents had. I have also met so many lovely mommies buying my pre-loved fluff. Seriously its awesome. And my lil ones bum is so soft and we doing our bit for the earth. I have even converted a friend.
- I have experience with cloth nappies, my daughter was on cloth nappies..I used nappy liners too then, to keep the nappies from getting too stained..but when she started getting a terrible rash, I switched to disposables. Never ever had any skin problems with my babies again. I'm more than happy with disposables thank you.
- I use disposable nappies, because the cloth ones gets wet too quick, and with disposables his bum stays dry and he don't get nappy rash..and it saves money on washing powder too!
- I use disposable nappies! I have 4 cloth nappies, but those I use to wipe my baby's nose or mouth..for the drooling and runny nose.. I usually buy Cuddlers, but Huggies were on Special, so I got some of those. My baby will be 2 years old next year March, I'll start to potty train him when he can talk and understand better.
Here's some reading to help you if you're trying to make the decision between disposables or cloth nappies:
Which nappy is best?
We take a look at disposables, cloth nappies or going nappy-free.