Difficulty rating: ****
Time to prepare: ****
Activity time: 60 minutes
This activity will not only provide for hours of fun, it will also keep your tot busy while you prepare your own meal.
- Prepare a basic cookie dough using the recipe we’ve provided below
- Older children can even be taught to follow a recipe themselves with your help. Draw measurements of each ingredient on a card for your child to follow, for example, draw two spoons of sugar, one cup of milk, etc
- Buy a variety of cookie cutters and sprinkles to keep little hands busy
- Let your child decorate the cookie dough with sprinkles before baking the cookies or with icing afterwards (we’ve given you a simple glaze icing recipe too)
- You can teach her how to set a timer, but assist with the task of putting the cookies in the oven
Did you know?
Baking introduces your child to mathematical concepts like volume and counting, while icing the cookies gives your toddler’s fine motor skills a good workout.
Easy glaze icing:
Basic cookie dough:
- 1 cup Sugar
- 125g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 30ml Milk
- ½ tsp Vanilla essence
- 625 ml Cake fl our
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt