Has your child already made mom and grandma a gorgeous Mother’s Day card?
What about the gifts?
If not, and the kids want to make something fun for mom on their own, we’ve put together a little video showing them how to press flowers and incorporate them into a beautiful gift. So say good bye to the conventional flowers – here’s our pretty pressed petals picture frame:
- Heavy books
- Picture frame
- Glass of a second picture frame
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure you use different types of flowers. Thicker, sturdier flowers and plants are easier and quicker to dry. Flowers with thinner petals are a little more tricky because they tend to have a lot of moisture which will make them stick to your cardboard. They look beautiful in your frame though because they become translucent. Because they’re very delicate, be gentle with them. Using tweezers could help so they don't break.
- Pressing flowers usually takes at least a week but they do produce the best results. Here’s a hack for you though: place the flowers into a heavy book as you usually would and place it into the microwave. Microwave it 4 or 5 times in 30-second bursts, with a short interval in-between. This will dry it out in a matter of minutes!
- Make sure the glue you’re using dries clear. Only use a very little bit or it will show through when your frame is held up in the light. If you can’t find glue, little pieces of double-sided tape is a good alternative.
Try making these picture frames and pressed flowers and send us pictures of your artwork to email@example.com.
For more DIY ideas for Mother's Day also see:
- Teens share DIY Mother's Day gift ideas
- Make this Mother's Day amazing!
- 5 DIY Mother's Day gifts
- Great mom gifts
- DIY beauty gifts for mom
- INDEX: Tonnes of DIY gift ideas!
- DIY arts and crafts for the whole family
- WATCH: How to make marble mugs
- WATCH DIY crafty kids: how to make rose bath bombs
Sign up to our weekly newsletter to receive Parent24 stories directly to your inbox.