Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
13 Dec 2010
contraception and breastfeeding
Hi Susan my baby is five months i was on a pill for 2 months but my gp adviced me to stop because i was bleeding and they are not strong enough to prevent pregnancy now i am on a two month ejection and my milk supply is decreasing what can i do to prevent it from drying up
Hi Slindile The two month injection (Nuristerate) will decrease your milk supply. You will need to change contraceptive as soon as possible. Any barrier method like condoms, 3 month injection (Petogen), spermasides and Intra uterine devices with or without hormones are more advisable during breastfeeding. Removing the hormone will help, but you will need to work really hard on your production to counteract the effect of the injection on your supply. Try Fenugreek and Goatsrue tablets or you might need a bit of domperidone or eglonil just to save your lactation. Good luck
- BREAKING NEWS LIVE | Free State cops bust motorist with 16 refuse bags full of abalone
- Another blow for Julius Malema as the ConCourt says EFF won't succeed on land invasions interdict
- Jacob Zuma's alternative to a private prosecution is 'eye for an eye', Dali Mpofu argues
- WRAP | 'Democracy means majority rule,' says Paul Mashatile during parliamentary question session
- Thabo Bester saga: Nandipha Magudumana abandons her rented mansion
- Belgium had President Cyril Ramaphosa squirming with jabs about Russia during a royal visit
- Whites-only enclave faces ruin as court rules against company owned by 'Kubus king'
- Max du Plessis and Eshed Cohen | It has been a good week for international criminal justice. Here's why
- The Justice department is asking for more cash after Mkhwebane's legal fees hit R24 million
- Moment of truth for Hugo Broos: If Bafana don't beat Liberia, 'the whole project is a failure'
Do you think the EFF’s shutdown on Monday was successful?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
No, it was mild and missed the mark
86% - 4103 votes
Yes, it gripped South Africa’s attention
14% - 678 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes
'That's Brad Binder!' - dreams really do come true as SA teen rider Ora Phiri...
Good News: Shining a light on the bold, brave, glass-half-full people keeping SA...
23 Sep 2022
WATCH | Shooting star: Lavender Hill pool champ needs funds for a shot at sinking...
Keys to new homes in Gatesville handed over to families who used to live in nearby...
Editorial feedback and complaints
Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.LEARN MORE
WATCH: How to get your business ready for tax year-end
What if I could invest in my daughter's future by cutting out luxuries?
How this tech giant is elevating smartphone photography to greater heights
What if I could grow one lump sum investment towards a dream retirement home?