- Cover fish ponds and water features. Always empty paddle pools after use.
- Ideally, garage doors should have a safety mechanism that stops them from accidentally coming off the hinges and falling onto your child.
- Ladders should always be securely stored away so your kids can't get onto the roof.
- Never leave dangerous tools like garden shears or hammers lying around- lock them away. Lock turpentine, paint, and pool chemicals away too.
- Keep your car doors locked in the garage or driveway. Never, ever leave a baby sleeping in the car.
- Never reverse in your driveway or close an electronic door/gate without keeping an eye on your children. Tragically, parents have reversed over their own children in driveways.
- Make sure that your kids can't get onto the road at all.
- Never leave children unattended near a braai or Weber.
- Watch out for electric fencing. Don't let your kids climb near it!
Safety First: In the Garden
Next on Parent24
Are our screens to blame for increasing prevalence of nearsightedness? A local expert advises