There are tons of wise and unforgettable quotes that I often come across when roaming the depths of the internet. Quotes that give me hope, quotes that make my day and sometimes even quotes that completely change my perspective on life. One of the most profound of all though is the following affirmation:
“Cupcakes are muffins that believed in miracles.”
There are few things in this world better than a delicious and beautiful cupcake and nothing makes a themed birthday party for your little ones quite like a gorgeous cupcake. So we put together a video on how to use fondant to make cupcakes for a pretty princess party or a floral-themed birthday bash.
Check out the video below on how to make frilly fondant flowers and the tips and tricks below on how to decorate your gorgeous cupcakes!
Ingredients and tools
- Rolling pin
- Piping nozzles
Tips and tricks
- Instead of buying different colours of fondant, we suggest buying white fondant and dying it with a drop or two of food colouring to get the perfect colours. You’ll find that the fondant is rather malleable, so all you really need to do is work it through with your hands.
- To get a marble effect, don’t work it all the way through. This creates a great two-toned effect and the kids will absolutely love it.
- We used the back of a piping nozzle to get the circular shapes to create each flower. You can use any tools you have at home, however, and even if you don't get it on the first try, you can reuse the fondant and reshape your flowers.
- You can decorate your cupcakes however you like. To get the effect in the picture above we worked a bit of butter and milk into the fondant to make it softer before piping. You can also use icing sugar, milk and butter to create a softer butter icing, as long as it is thick enough to hold its shape once it’s piped.
- To create the perfect leaf, we added green food colouring and used a specific nozzle to fill in the gaps between the fondant flowers.
- We also made sure to first coat the plain cupcake with enough icing to make sure the fondant stuck.
And voilá! Frilly fondant flowers and the most gorgeous cupcakes!
- WATCH: How to make delicious caramel and banana pancakes, with sprinkles!
- WATCH #ParentingHacks: How to make Oreo Pops!
- WATCH #ParentingHacks: How to make decadent monster mousse!
Try playing around with fondant and send us your comments and pictures of how it came out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may just publish your pictures!
Sign up to our weekly newsletter to receive Parent24 stories directly to your inbox.