Can Home Affairs refuse to register my child if the mother's visa expired?

Is a valid visa a determining factor for registering a child?
Is a valid visa a determining factor for registering a child?

The following question is part of Groundup's Answers to your questions series and comes from a reader wanting to know about registering a child's visa at Home Affairs when one parent is not a South African citizen. 

The short answer

No, they may not refuse to register a child’s birth. Here's why.

The whole question

I have a 3-month-old child with a foreign national woman whose visa expired more than 12 months ago. Our child was born in South Africa but is not registered because the Department of Home Affairs refused to do so based on the mother's expired visa. Is a valid visa a determining factor for registering a child?

The long answer

Thank you for your email asking if your child’s mother’s expired visa is grounds for DHA to refuse to register your child.

No, DHA may not refuse to register a child’s birth on the grounds of the legal status of its parents.

In August 2018, the High Court in Grahamstown found that the Births and Deaths Registration Act did not stipulate which parent had the duty to register the birth. The court found that requiring an immigrant parent to produce a valid visa or permit for the registration of the birth of a child, did prevent a father from registering the birth of his child, and this was not what the law intended.

The court found that the father had the right to register his child’s birth, when the mother of the child was either absent, or whose visa had expired, making her an illegal immigrant. The Act also did not prevent an unmarried father from registering his child’s birth.  

As the DHA is notoriously slow in acknowledging or implementing court decisions, you could consult the following organisations for assistance:

Lawyers for Human Rights:

Johannesburg office:

Tel: 011 339 1960

Cape Town office:

021 424 8561


Legal Resources Centre:


Published originally on GroundUp

© 2019 GroundUp.

Chat back:

Share your story with Parent24. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

WhatsApp: Send messages and voicenotes to 066 010 0325

Email: Share your story with us via email at chatback @

Sign up for Parent24's newsletters.

Read more: 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Zama zama crackdown: What are your thoughts on West Village residents taking the law into their own hands?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Authorities should bring in the army already
11% - 2102 votes
Illegal miners can't be scapegoated for all crime
47% - 8835 votes
What else did we expect without no proper policing
38% - 7139 votes
Vigilante groups are also part of the problem
4% - 699 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.