Road accident claims for minors: A lawyer explains what you need to know

Child victims of road accidents are eligible for compensation from the Road Accident Fund.
Child victims of road accidents are eligible for compensation from the Road Accident Fund.
John Benitez

With more people back at work, and also more children back in school, the roads are significantly busier under Lockdown Level 3. Restrictions have been lifted and there's more freedom of movement on the roads.

"This also means the number of road crashes, and fatalities have spiked," says Wheels24 editor Janine Van der Post.

She shared with Parent24 that since alcohol sales have resumed, there have been several drunk driving incidents which claimed lives too.

Earlier in June, News24 reported that 10 people were killed on the first day of Level 3 in the Eastern Cape.

Just on Monday alone, ArriveAlive reported several road crashes and fatalities on its website: three people were injured in a multi-vehicle crash in Woodmead, another three people were injured when three vehicles and a truck collided in Linksfield, while another two people were injured in a multi-vehicle crash in Rivonia.

Several people have also lost their lives this weekend due to accidents, including a man who died on the N2 in Somerset West after a crash.

Van der Post says "We might not have been driving for some time, but the rules of the road have most certainly not changed, and we need to be vigilant at all times. Keep a safe following distance, keep your headlights on especially during rainy weather, and maintain the speed limit."

Nonetheless, it would seem that road accidents are part of our lives once more.

Child victims of road accidents are eligible for compensation from the Road Accident Fund (RAF) providing the qualifying criteria are satisfied. It might be cold comfort to know this, but to some families the financial assistance can be life saving.

However, claiming from the RAF can be confusing, intimidating and complicated. 

To help parents who might find themselves in this sad situation, Kirstie Haslam, partner at DSC Attorneys, provided Parent24 with the below information about RAF claims for minors injured or killed on South Africa’s roads. 

Who can lodge a RAF claim for minor victims?

A parent or guardian can lodge a claim on behalf of a minor. Where there is no parent or guardian, an application can be brought to the High Court, appointing a Curator ad Litem to act on the minor’s behalf in respect of the claim.

Alternatively, the minor can wait until he or she is 18 to register a claim. 

What can minors claim from the Road Accident Fund?

Minors can claim compensation for:

•    all medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident

•    general damages for pain and suffering if the injury is deemed serious

•    the minor’s future loss of earnings/earning capacity which can be a significant loss. 

How much can be claimed?

There are no statutory limits on the amounts that can be claimed for medical expenses.Medical expenses are, however, paid in line with tariffs based on the National Health Reference Price List (NHRPL) and the Uniform Patient Fee Structure.

General damages can also be claimed in cases where injuries are classified as serious injuries. 

Time limits for lodging RAF claims

When the wrongdoer in the accident can be identified, the RAF claim, together with all supporting documents, must be lodged by a parent, guardian or Curator ad Litem, any time following the collision before the minor reaches the age of majority, or by the minor themselves within three years after reaching 18.  

In the case of a hit-and-run accident where the offending party is unknown, a claim must be submitted on behalf of the minor claimant within two years of the accident. If the claim isn’t lodged within this period, it prescribes (becomes unenforceable in law). 

Documents required for RAF claims

For a RAF claim to be successful, the following forms must be completed and submitted in hard copy to the RAF offices:

•    RAF 1 – details of the minor and their parents / guardian / Curator ad Litem, information about the motor vehicles and parties involved in the accident, the date and location of the accident and the monetary amounts claimed in respect of damages

•    RAF 3 – details of the accident, as per both involved parties

•    RAF 4 – a serious injury assessment report by a qualified medical professional but only in respect of a claim for general damages. 

In addition, while a medical report and police report are a substantive requirement, supportive documents such as witness statements, invoices relating to the accident, photographs of the damaged vehicle and the surrounding area are helpful in support of the claim. 

What to expect once a RAF claim has been submitted

The RAF has 120 days to consider the evidence and determine the validity of a claim and the amount of damages payable.

Unfortunately, the RAF rarely, if ever, concludes a case within the prescribed period. Once the 120 day period has expired, your lawyer can immediately issue summons in order to pursue the claim in court. 

The RAF may make an offer of an out-of-court settlement that you can either accept or reject.

If you reject the offer, the case goes before the court, where arguments are made for and against your claim. The court determines how much you are paid in damages, based on the evidence presented.  

Compiled for Parent24 by Elizabeth Mamacos


Share your stories and questions with us via email at chatback @ Anonymous contributions are welcome.

Don't miss a story!

For a weekly wrap of our latest parenting news and advice, sign up to our Friday Parent24 newsletter.

Follow us, and chat, on Facebook and Twitter.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Zama zama crackdown: What are your thoughts on West Village residents taking the law into their own hands?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Authorities should bring in the army already
10% - 956 votes
Illegal miners can't be scapegoated for all crime
53% - 5248 votes
What else did we expect without no proper policing
34% - 3351 votes
Vigilante groups are also part of the problem
3% - 324 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.