An allergic inflammation of the nasal airways.
- An itch which feels like it is at the back of the throat or behind the nose.
- Runny nose.
- Water, red and itchy eyes.
- A dry throat.
- Sneezing attacks.
- Speak to your pharmacist and treat at home.
- Consult a doctor if the symptoms are severe or persistent and don't respond to home treatment.
- Hay fever is a manifestation of an allergy, usually to grass, tree and weed pollens, but also to mould spores, animal dander (flakes of dead skin) or house dust mites.
- It may be seasonal or perennial.
- If you know what your child is allergic to, try to reduce her exposure to what is causing her discomfort.
- Keep house dust to a minimum.
- Treat carpets with insecticides.
- Enclose her mattress in plastic and avoid feather pillows and duvets.
- Oral antihistamines or nasal spray may be prescribed by your doctor for the symptoms.