'How can I register for matric as an adult?': An expert answers our reader's question


We received a question from a reader wanting to know how to register for matric as an adult. See his question and the answer below.

Hi Parent24, 

Can you give me the direction on how to register for Adult matric? I am in the Eastrand, Ekhuruleni. I urgently need to register.

I read so many have been successful with Parent24. Can you possibly direct me please?

Regards, Sergio

Also see: The matric pass requirements 

Dear Sergio,

Registration for the 2021 exams may be done online or at any education district office. To check when admissions open and close, contact your area Department of Education offices or call the National office call centre on 0800 202 933.

Qualification for admission to the Senior Certificate:

  • Adult learners who are 21 years and older who have:

    a General Education and Training Certificate (GETC); or     
    a Grade 9 school report (or the old standard seven) stating that they have passed Grade 9 or Standard 7; or a recognized equivalent qualification obtained at NQF Level which requires two official languages. 

  • Adult learners who are 21 years and older with an incomplete Senior Certificate qualification.
  • Adult learners who are 21 years and older with an incomplete National Senior Certificate and whose School-Based Assessment (SBA) validity has expired.
  • Only in exceptional cases, out of school youth, who are 18-21 years old and who could not complete their school education due to circumstances beyond their control, as verified by the Head of Department in the Provincial Education Department.

Adult candidates who are 21 years and older with an incomplete NSC and whose School-Based Assessment component has not yet expired may choose to complete the NSC, or convert to the Senior Certificate (as amended). Should the candidate choose to convert to the Senior Certificate (as amended), they may not revert to the NSC and attempt to complete the NSC qualification.

You may alternatively register through one of the private learning centers yet this may be costly.                                            

All the best,

Sue Larkin


Send us your burning questions, we might approach an expert on your behalf and share their answers. Anonymous contributions are welcome.


Share your stories and questions with us via email at chatback @ parent24.com. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

Don't miss a story!

For a weekly wrap of our latest parenting news and advice, sign up to our Friday Parent24 newsletter.

Follow us, and chat, on Facebook and Twitter.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Zama zama crackdown: What are your thoughts on West Village residents taking the law into their own hands?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Authorities should bring in the army already
10% - 2462 votes
Illegal miners can't be scapegoated for all crime
53% - 12634 votes
What else did we expect without no proper policing
34% - 8123 votes
Vigilante groups are also part of the problem
3% - 808 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.