What to do if you've lost your matric certificate

Matric Certificate
Matric Certificate

Sometimes life happens, your home burns down, your possessions are lost in a move, your paperwork is damaged in a flood... or you just misplace things and never find them again.

Should any of these scenarios happen and you lose your matric certificate, what do you do? 

Replacement certificate

If you lost or damaged your original matric certificate, you must apply for a replacement at the Department of Basic Education (DBE) or Provincial Education Department (PED) by completing the Replacement application form.

If the certificate is damaged, you must also return the damaged certificate to the Department of Basic Education (DBE) or Provincial Education Department (PED).

A prescribed fee must be paid, usually by postal order at the Post Office, cash at DBE / PED office or by cheque.

Go to the nearest DBE/ PED offices with the following documents:

  • An affidavit stating what happened to your certificate (i.e. if it is lost or damaged).
  • The original national/ senior certificate (if it is damaged). This is not applicable if it is lost.
  • Your original identity document (ID) and a certified copy.

If the above mentioned is too much admin for you, you can download the form here: Application for a Replacement Certificate, fill it in and post it with the attached documents including the postal order to: Private Bag X895, Pretoria, 0001

You can also apply and pay online

Change of Status

What if you wrote your matric exams in more than one examination sitting and you want to combine your credits to qualify for a National Certificate?

The Department of Education does not automatically combine your credits, unless you wrote a supplementary examination. What you need to do then is apply for a Replacement certificate change of status.

Pay the prescribed fee by postal order at the Post Office, cash at DBE/PED office or by cheque and then go to your nearest DBE/PED offices with the following documents:

  • Your results from all examination sittings
  • Your original identity document (ID) and a certified copy
  • The proof of payment

Alternatively you can download the form here: Replacement Certificate: Change of Status, fill it in and post it with the attached documents including the postal order to: Private Bag X895, Pretoria, 0001. 


Replacement certificate: R118.00

Statement of results: Additional R47.00.

If you choose the option to post the documents, there will be extra expenses, at the Post Office's discretion.

Also read: Supplementary exams: everything you need to know

The wait

It takes four to six weeks for a Re-Issue certificate.

What a relief right? I know! You know what else is a relief?

You can get your statement of results immediately, to cover you while you wait to receive your official certificate. 

Read more about your options beyond matric and varsity here: An alternative to matric and varsity: your study options in SA explained

Chat back:

Share your story with Parent24. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

WhatsApp: Send messages and voicenotes to 066 010 0325

Email: Share your story with us via email at chatback @ parent24.com

Sign up for Parent24's newsletters.

Read more:

The cutest (and funniest!) first day of school pics from around SA

Soar! The new guidebook for teenage girls

These 4 local retailers offer generic school uniforms at cost-effective prices

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Zama zama crackdown: What are your thoughts on West Village residents taking the law into their own hands?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Authorities should bring in the army already
9% - 896 votes
Illegal miners can't be scapegoated for all crime
55% - 5203 votes
What else did we expect without no proper policing
33% - 3113 votes
Vigilante groups are also part of the problem
3% - 302 votes
Rand - Dollar
Rand - Pound
Rand - Euro
Rand - Aus dollar
Rand - Yen
Brent Crude
Top 40
All Share
Resource 10
Industrial 25
Financial 15
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.