'My mother would have died during labour': A reader asks Caesarean critics not to judge

accreditation
I feel that we, as women, are too critical of one another.
I feel that we, as women, are too critical of one another.

In a recent Parent24 poll, we asked our Facebook community whether they thought birth via Caesarean is 'unnatural'?

For the majority (85%) the answer was no, while the remaining 15% disagreed. 

 

The belief that Caesarean births are 'unnatural' or even (at the truly extreme level) an invalid form of birth is ridiculous, but some people obviously still think this. 

Read more here: Is birth by Caesarean' unnatural'? 

While we at Parent24 feel that there is no 'unnatural' way to bring a baby into the world, this reader perfectly explains why we need to be less critical of how mother's bear their babies.

Her letter follows: 

'Every woman should have the right to make her own birthing choices' 

I feel that we, as women, are too critical of one another. We as humans should realise that everyone is different and unique.

It is unfair to place your expectations on another. We must remember that there are women who can't give natural birth, even if they wanted to.

It is just physically impossible for them. My late mother was one. Both myself and my brother were born via planned C-sections.

I won't go into detail about her medical history, but if it weren't for this type of delivery me and my brother would not have been here, and my mother would have died during labour.

We had a very loving and strong relationship.

I know that the rate of C-sections in SA is very high compared to other countries, but every woman should have the right to make her own birthing choices.

These choices should be informed and individualised and not influenced by the opinion of very critical people.

So, ladies, we are our own worst enemies.

Let us build each other up, be understanding of our individuality and stop pressuring each other through comparison. 

Thank you, 

Anonymous 

Chat back:

Share your story with us, and we could publish your mail. Anonymous contributions are welcome.

Sign up for Parent24's newsletters.

Read more:

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Gauteng DA leader Solly Msimanga says the party's voters want it to explore conditional coalition talks with the ANC. 
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
It's a step in the right direction. An ANC-DA coalition would be the most stable option for SA
32% - 3627 votes
The DA should focus on working with all opposition parties, including the EFF, to unseat the ANC
14% - 1626 votes
The DA should rather remain in opposition than form a coalition with the ANC or the EFF
53% - 5995 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
16.98
+0.1%
Rand - Pound
20.31
-0.0%
Rand - Euro
17.58
-0.2%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.39
-0.2%
Rand - Yen
0.12
+0.1%
Gold
1,756.30
+0.4%
Silver
21.35
+0.4%
Palladium
1,878.50
+2.1%
Platinum
1,014.00
+0.8%
Brent Crude
83.03
-0.2%
Top 40
67,407
+0.9%
All Share
73,683
+0.8%
Resource 10
72,010
+0.9%
Industrial 25
89,034
+1.1%
Financial 15
16,163
+0.3%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE