Dangers of leaving your child in the car include:
- Climbs out of a car seat and shifts the car into gear, causing an accident.
- Become ill or worse from heat or car fumes.
- Abduction when someone breaks into the car.
- Heat stroke that can lead to permanent brain damage and death.
Signs of heat stroke
- An extremely high body temperature
- Red, hot, and dry skin (no sweating)
- Rapid, strong pulse
- Lock your vehicle to ensure that your child cannot climb in without your knowledge.
- Never leave your child unattended in the car. Rather take them with you or leave them at home with a care-giver.
- Never leave a child alone in a parked car, even with the windows down.
- Leaving the car running and the air conditioning on doesn't make your child any safer, even if it is just for a few minutes.
- Teach children about the dangers of a car. A car is NOT a toy.
- Heatstroke is a life-threatening condition. Call for medical help if you suspect that your child has heat stroke.
- If your child is missing, be sure to check all vehicles and car boots immediately.
- When it comes to your child, their safety comes first so always think before you do anything that may put your child in danger, even if it’s unintentional!
Read more about child safety on 4akid.
Are parents aware of the need for safety in cars?