You will need:
- Empty CD boxes
- Scissors and glue
- Craft supplies and household bits and pieces (see suggestions below)
We always seem to have empty CD boxes lying around - and if you don’t, you can buy them very cheaply at computer or music stores.
Open your CD box and take out the paper inserts and the molded plastic piece into which the CD itself fits.
- Cut your photo to just smaller than the box. You will be fitting it into the back of the box with the hinged edge at the top.
- Fix the photo against the plastic with a few small pieces of sticky-tape.
- Find a nice piece of cardboard, gift wrap or fun foam which will complement your design and cut this to fit snugly behind the photo and to the edges of the frame.
- Fix with glue or sticky-tape with the pattern, if any, facing into the box.
- When your frame is finished you will open the box out to stand it up, so this backing protects your photo.
Now all you need to do is draw a line of glue on the outside edges of the front of the CD box and start decorating! Use whatever you have to hand. You can build on the theme of the photo, the season, or the particular interests of the recipient.
VARIATION: Artwork instead of a photo
Another idea is to use some artwork which the children have created instead of a photo, and surround it with something which complements the work. Get a little one to write - I Love You Granny - in their best writing and then stick on their own choice of stickers and beads, and you will have created a present which will be treasured forever!
Here are some decorating ideas to get you started:
For photos of girls:
- Sparkly beads
- Jewels (available from craft shops)
- Glass nuggets (for flower arranging, they come in gorgeous colours)
- Tiny silk flowers
- Pretty ribbon
- Left over or "odd" doll’s shoes and accessories
For photos of boys:
- Tiny plastic soldiers
- Tiny cars
- Wheels of assorted shapes and size
- Lego pieces.
- Toy insects, plastic dinosaurs or farm animals
- Small ornaments or bits of ornaments left over from a wreath
- Little ribbon bows
- Fake holly and berries
- Gold stars - either stickers, or shapes cut from cardboard
- Gold and silver beads, or metallic beads in Christmas colours
- Red or green gingham ribbon
- Spices (cloves, star anise, cinnamon sticks). This one smells nice too!
- Tiny pine cones
- Glitter - lots of it
- Miniature wrapped-up presents - make your own, or buy miniature tree decorations