It is easy to make quick, nutritious meals for your baby at any age – especially if you make up batches of puree to freeze. What’s more, a bunch of carrots is a lot cheaper than store bought jars of food, you know exactly what’s in it and you know it’s made with love!
- 1 cup Carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Water, preferably filtered
- Place the carrots and water in a stainless steel saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Purée using some of the cooking liquid to get the right consistency.
- Spoon into ice cube trays that have been sterilised by pouring boiling water over them, and let cool to room temperature. Then freeze until required.
In general though...
The basic recipe for making any simple fruit or vegetable purée is to use 1 cup fruit or vegetables and ¼ cup water, boiled or steamed for 10-15 minutes until soft.
Purée in a blender, food processor, stick blender or use a fork to mash. Let cool to room temperature, then spoon into ice cube trays that have been sterilised by pouring boiling water over them, and freeze.
For babies 6 - 9 months old, start with tiny tastes of simple vegetable and fruit purées – just a teaspoon or two at lunch. Then, when you’re sure your baby is not allergic to anything, you can start mixing and matching.